Horse dye

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Sabn, Aug 5, 2017.

?

Would you try it for shows?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Sabn

Sabn Full Member

I found some livestock dye at my local feed store that says that it is safe to use on all livestock. My horse is in the middle of show season and he has golden stripes on his neck where he sweats with his fly sheet. He has to wear a fly sheet because we have pigeon fever all around the property where he is at. I hose him off at least once a week as well after I ride him. The stuff is called weaver prodye and it's made for dying show cattle and sheep black. Do you think it would be safe to use on a horse's coat in the bleached areas? I would spot test him first, but I was wondering if anyone had heard of it.

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Never heard of it. Idk. Showing rules prohibit colouring usually, that's why I wouldn't.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  3. Sabn

Sabn Full Member

He is naturally black so I wouldn't be changing his coloring or markings. I would just be fixing the bleached out areas. He has a couple of scrapes where his hair just started growing back in and it is jet black. So it isn't against the rules if I wanted to dye him.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Go for it then. I'm just going by letter of the law rules. Idk if there's leeway myself.

5. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

It depends, if it's an aqha show, as long as you are not changing the markings, I.e., White to dark, it is not illegal. We can use black spray, for instance, to enhance black points on legs, whiten white markings. We used black to cover an old scar on one horses knee when we showed him.

You should check with the shows management to be sure.

It would be easier to me to buy the Shapleys spray and just lightly spray the areas.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  6. EnglishRider234

EnglishRider234 Senior Member

I use Shapleys spray to darken my horses legs. Definitley recommend that route over dye. Simply because if you don't like it or screw up, you can shampoo the spray off much easier than dye.

7. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Anything pigmented is illegal in my breed, permanent or temporary.

Read your association rules carefully.

8. Sabn

Sabn Full Member

IMG_5350.jpg IMG_5351.jpg Well it worked. I still have a little bit of touch up and blending to do, but it worked pretty well.

9. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

You sure were brave, I wouldn't have attempted it, lol. Explain the process, if you would.

10. Sabn

Sabn Full Member

This dye is supposed to be really safe for animals, but I still wanted to do a spot test. So I did a spot on his belly yesterday and rode him for 45 minutes while the dye set and then rinsed it off. There was no reaction so I dyed him today. The kit comes with 5 bottles of dye and 5 bottles of activator. You pour them in equal amounts into a spray bottle and spray down the horse all over. Then you take a comb or a cheap curry that you're fine with throwing away and work it into the coat. You let it sit for 30-45 minutes and rinse off. It would have been pretty easy if my horse was fine with sprays. He is really mad about being fly sprayed so much lately. If you try it make sure to wear old clothes (that you're fine with throwing away), long sleeves, and gloves. You can also spray it on the hooves to darken them. I used 4 bottles of each so that I had extra to do touch up. I probably only needed 3 though. The kit was $25 and the spray bottle that is designed for this was $5. So for $30 my horse is black again for his big show next week. Had this not worked I would have just body clipped him, but it turned out pretty great.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017