Horse DOESNT want to be outside

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by BipolarHonor, Nov 7, 2018.

1. BipolarHonor

BipolarHonor Senior Member

anyone ever have a horse that just absolutely HATES turnout. my gelding lost weight over the summer. I blamed it on his dislike of heat, bugs, colic episodes, etc. finally found a grain he cleans up, treated him for ulcers, got a gut supplement that has kept the colics at bay and put him on a routine of turnout just while I do stalls during the summer and unlimited hay in stall and he started gaining weight. its cooled down now and bugs are minimum if any so I put him back on normal turnout again but back to same problem. he dropped weight again. I really don't think he likes being out and I think he stresses when he is out past "his limit". nobody picks on him or anything to make him hate it he enjoys the company of 2 of the mares he just has his limit and then he is done and just wants to relax in his stall. he is always sleeping in his stall. he lays down the most out of any of the horses and that's where he seems the most relaxed. anyone ever deal with this? how can I help him enjoy being out. I want to give him as much time out as possible because he does stock up but it seems the more I try to give him time outside with plenty of hay and grass the more weight he loses regardless of the amount of feed being put into him.

2. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Yup. I have 2 of those. My gelding likes going out to a certain point, but when he is done he is DONE. One of the mares gets super anxious if she is out for too long. Nothing I've found has helped to change that.

3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

You might try playing around with the size of the turnout if you're able. Bella was formerly in a 70-acre pasture and she did fine there but is happier now in a smaller field. I think the sheer size of it, plus the fact that she'd sometimes "lose" the herd made her anxious. Also, although she gets along well with other horses, being around too many at once can be overwhelming.

Do you have the ability to give him access to his stall from turnout? Or to put him out with fewer horses or alone and see if that makes a difference? Some horses just get anxious with too much stimulation.

iloverockies likes this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Is he out alone or in a group where he has no buddy?
    Either situation can make a more sensitive horse feel unsafe, they worry and that can cause them to drop weight.

5. BipolarHonor

I've tried with the mares (4) and with the colts (2). He was originally brought home to babysit the colts but they started to annoy him so I put him with the mares mostly but when he is doing short turnout he is with the colts. Regardless of which group he goes out with it's about an hour and then he wants in. Turnout alone is an option but not one he likes. He likes having the other horses around he just doesnt like being turned out as long as they do.

6. BipolarHonor

To put it nicely he is a complete drama king. :rolleyes: picky about how much time he spends outside. Picky about his grain. If he feels he doesnt get enough attention he throws a fit (he actually stopped eating for 2 days til I started paying more attention to him nothing was physically wrong and as soon as he got his grooming sessions again he started eating). If he doesnt get what he wants he literally throws himself on the ground and "pouts". He is a 5 year old gelding that acts like a 2 year old child :no:

NaeNae likes this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

Some horses are like that and can be changed (make turn out more comfortable - put on full fly coverage, give them some buddies, shade, something, whatever it is that is missing from their point of view, and they settle down and decide they like it).

And some cannot change and it's not wise to try.

My friend's horse was really bad this way. He would just run and run back and forth at the gate and make himself sore, bruise his feet, get cut up, injured a tendon..... She finally gave up. He spent the rest of his life, happy as an oyster in the barn, even if he was all by himself. That's what he wanted.

On the other hand, this other gal I knew had one that was really bad to turn out, and she insisted on putting this mare out, alone, in a paddock, for 45 minutes, to 'teach her to quit being a baby.' Went to check on horse, horse had tried to jump gate, got her leg caught in the gap between the gate and the fence post and had to be put down.

My attitude after all these years is try to change them, but don't try too hard.

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Mares 4+1= 5 he has no buddy.
    Colts 2+1 = he has no buddy.
    Horses have to be in pairs so they each have a buddy, GENERALLY. Sometimes it works out in a group where all the horses are friends, but you put a new horse with already even numbered horses zhat are all familiar with one another, the new one is Odd Man Out.

GONE ROPING, Puddincup and LoveTrail like this.
  9. BipolarHonor

With the mares he buddies up with "the sisters" he is always with one or both and then my mother/daughter pair buddy up. With the colts he buddies up with the TB and tolerates the appendix being near them and has been known to run him off if he doesnt want him near his friend. He is never alone unless he chooses to be which is usually when he gives up and wants in.

10. BipolarHonor

He had full fly coverage and we tried night turnout. At this point I think I'm at the just give up part and let him be if he wants his stall. I'd rather wrap stocked up legs than treat banged up ones or an emergency vet call and dead horse.