Horse Dives Away When Loping Simple Circle?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Sierra Frantz, Jan 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Taking a step back, regrouping and trying again is not quitting...

It’s being smart....

2. palogal

palogal Senior Member

If she does this with you and not with others, the problem is you. There's no steps we can give you to fix this problem. You're not feeling her tell you she's going to do this. Your trainer does and can fix it when she tries. Riding her when you can't control the behavior is not good for you or her training. You are not ready for this horse and you've developed a fear of her which is not healthy for either of you. This is not about you having the wrong trainer or the trainer doing something wrong or a magic set of steps that will fix this behavior. You have to develop as a rider with a patient trained horse, handle your fear issues and THEN try her agin. I will also tell you that telling @Lopinslow to butt out is to your detriment. She knows A LOT and can really help you. You have to be receptive and that's part of developing as a rider, realizing where your abilities are (and aren't).

Binca, kodemiester, Lopinslow and 3 others like this.
  3. palogal

palogal Senior Member

That's no great accomplishment, that's good riding.

Binca and manesntails like this.
  4. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Let me tell you a story about myself.
    When I was in my 2nd year of showing horses I was put on a lesson horse that was a firecracker. He was a big moving, strong Morgan and he knew which riders he could push around. I was a pretty timid rider back then and he was always taking me for a ride. I didnt have fun riding him because it freaked me out. I felt out of control and intimidated by his power and strong will. I kept riding him because I didn't want to ask to stop riding him and I didn't want to admit I wasnt ready for him. My old instructor at the time let me ride him in a big show (dont know why she let me in the first place...) and it was a disaster. I couldn't get him to do anything. I was not in control and I put the other riders in danger. It was embarrassing and I was humiliated.

I didnt ride that horse again for a while... maybe 6 months to a year. I rode other horses and got stronger and more confident. When I finally rode this horse again it was amazing. Best ride ever. I was finally at the point that I could control my body to control him and he didnt intimidate me anymore.

Long story short: sometimes its not a bad idea to take a step back and get more experience and confidence. Especially when you admit you're scared of a horse. It doesn't mean you're giving up... it means you are taking the time to do things right.

You're still going to do what you want. And you're not going to get the advice you want to hear. Just know that most, if not all, of us have been in some type of similar situation before and are speaking from experience. It's not worth it to get hurt on a horse you're afraid of just to say you didnt give up.

Binca, paval, ginster and 4 others like this.
  5. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

You come on here asking for advice. When it isn’t what you want to hear, you get upset. What exactly do you want to hear? Good advice or things to placate you? You need a new trainer. Any trainer worth the money would not keep putting you on a horse that you don’t have the ability to control.

6. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I have read the op and a few recommendations. I do not believe the mare is "trying to get away with anything" that is from poor mindset and not horsemanship. The mare is telling you she doesn't like how you ride her. So, if you're here for real advice, for free, then you post a video in good lighting so we can see what is really going on to be able to tell you...it's likely you are doing something when going left that annoys or hurts her or that the saddle pinches her that way. No way anyone here has some sort of magic 8 ball to tell you. Most people do not "ride" all gaits in what I consider correctly in a biomechanically helpful way which stays out of the horse's way. Most people don't have good proprioreception for their own bodies, dont understsnd equine anatomy and footfalls of the horse, have minimal feel and timing, but that can be learned and worked on. A lot of people, including people here blame that on the horse or think the horse is winning if you dont make them do stuff. Well, that is not training or learning...that is learned helplessness. And the horse won't feel good about themselves and you won't feel good about yourself approaching it that way. You take responsibility for this happening and really want to fix it, there are those of us here who can help you over time.
    But there is no magic fix, it takes a lot of dang work to learn how to be an effective balanced rider. As for speed events, good speed event competititors (and I have world champion barrel racers who i train with at their arena, so I watch them practice) know that slow correct accurate work is done first before speed is attained. So until you can move the shoulders and the haunches and supple her and ride her right at walk and trot (and for me that means eating balanced correctly and able to be on various rein lengths with and without contact and stop with minimal to no rein with shift of weight and seat), I would not be looking her. Also, can you take ongoing weekly lessons ? I would put you (anyone I give lessons to) on a lunge line first in a saddle, then bareback with no reins at all gaits until you are proficient before you get reins.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Lol, there’s a familiar cry...

9. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

OP....I have a question, if you have your own pleasure horse, why are you riding this one? Are you wanting to compete in timed event too?

kodemiester and mooselady like this.
  10. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Its ALWAYS more leg! Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.