Horse Dives Away When Loping Simple Circle?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Sierra Frantz, Jan 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sierra Frantz

Sierra Frantz Registered

yeah, Ive cut myself off from riding her for now. I still visit and hang out with her though! But I worry if she does that, will my pleasure horse do that to me, and shes a special one too

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

But here's the thing. The way to handle it is to have the knowledge and confidence to handle it. That doesn't just come with making up your mind to do so, or with someone telling you how to do it. The way you learn to handle temperamental horses is to learn to ride finished horses well. And if you're coming off on a swerve to the wall, you're not riding well enough yet.

That's not a knock on you. Although I would say it's a knock on your trainer who should not have you on this horse. A solid rider with a solid seat stays stuck in the saddle when the horse tries to go out from under them. I have a ditzy TB mare who spends a good portion of her life trying to unseat me, when she isn't being fabulous. She can't do it. She can buck six ways to Christmas, with twists thrown in for good measure, a few airs above the ground, and some wicked sideways feints. I stay in the middle of the saddle because I've spent 40 years developing a seat. In 10 years, she's gotten me off once.

You need to develop a better seat on a finished horse before you're riding speed events on a dirty horse. And she sounds like she either has pain issues or she's a dirty horse that can read a timid or inexperienced rider like a book. Riding is not just about how many years you've done it, it's about how many years you've done it correctly. Find a trainer who will teach you how to use your core and your seat effectively.

Knowing nothing about your pleasure horse, I can't say but the speed horse sounds either ouchy, sour, or dirty. If your pleasure horse is a kinder ride, I'd stick to her and work on your seat and core.

Binca, ginster, GotaDunQH and 2 others like this.
  3. Sierra Frantz

Sierra Frantz Registered

I came here looking for knowledge to handle it. See I'm not just gonna give up because a few people tell me to, because trust me when I say I wouldn't be around if I listened. I know how to ride finished horses, and I personally asked to work on finishing my current pleasure horse who also has an issue at the lope but that isnt bad and just needs time to correct. The barrel horse is a finished one, and has won amazing things in the 4H world with even children on her, so it is nowhere near my trainers issue either. The difference here is she does it hard and spontaneous enough that she can dismantle anyone when she has the right of mind because she doesn't want to work. I am willingly able to admit sometimes I dont have the best seat, but even now I'm constantly correcting myself with everything. But with you, you've had 40 years of developing a good seat, which I can guarantee right now that no matter what horse you or I are on, you'll have a professional stance because everything takes time. My trainer is amazing at what she does too, and wont put anyone on any horse she doesnt feel is a safe match, so if she put me on that speed horse, them Im positive she has a good reason. Im taking a break off of her for a bit to collect myself and to see if anyone has had a similar experience (and in that it gives me a lot more time to work with my pleasure horse, because Im most definite once shes finished she will be placing firsts everywhere) along with getting to know her better. She is a very grouchy mare, and it doesnt help that shes a Pali either:ROFLMAO:.

When you first got your mare, besides having a good seat, what did you do to stay on her?

4. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

If you think her being a palomino has something to do with her temperament, etc.... shows your inexperience.

Find a better trainer.

5. Sierra Frantz

Sierra Frantz Registered

You need to learn when to take a joke. My trainer isn't- and never was the issue. Now please leave me alone, I do not want any further critique from you. Have a blessed night.

6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

That’s not how it works around here, you don’t get to choose who joins in your thread.

If you are scared, you step back and work on what does not scare you, you hone your skills at walk and trot, so you can ride the problems at the lope. If you are getting dumped often and your trainer isn’t helping you out, there IS an issue with your trainer.

You are getting a lot of good advice.....you can choose to listen, you can choose to ignore anyone that you do not want to respond to, you do not get to stop them posting.

7. Sierra Frantz

Sierra Frantz Registered

Theres a difference between advice and being rude. Continuously telling me to give up and that my trainer is the issue is beingbeing rude.

My trainer is helping me through this, and shes doing all she can to help me retrace my steps because shes told me i have unsung talent, but opposing issues that needn't be brought up hold me back.

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  8. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Horses can kill you. I feel like that needs to be emphasized here. I've never understood saying "I won't give up" when you've admitted you are afraid to ride the horse (WHICH IS TOTALLY FINE, there is no shame in having fear of a 1,000+ lb animal that can kill you).

Life is too short, you only have one body, and the world is full of good horses. Stop riding one that throws you that you're afraid of. It isn't giving up, it's being smart and not biting off more than you can chew. Pride has no place in horses.

Dream27, paval, ~tiffy~ and 4 others like this.
  9. Sierra Frantz

Sierra Frantz Registered

yeah, i know :) and thank you for your concern about me!! But I know I can get through this, and sadly as much as I act like it I dont have much pride. But this minor issue is more to do with my mindset, i've seen a lot of similar posts on here with a lot of similar "you shouldnt do it if you know youre scared or somethings wrong comments" and I feel like that could lose out on a lot of things If I chose to stop. I know I can get over this, because its a minor physical barrier, but a large mental one for me seeing as besides my trainer and her daughter, I dont have a large support/help system at my barn because everyone else dislikes me strongly for some drama i was roped into.

I know that I can do this because I did it with my pleasure horse, and the one before her. A lot is riding on me doing what I love and not failing completely, which is why I turned to here for extra advice, aside from the things I get from the other riders at my barn that are quite.. nasty to say the least

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

It isn't about you. It's about the horse. You should not be considering continuing to annoy the horse just because YOU have the desire to “show“ you can fix her. She aint broke, you are.

It takes experience. There IS NO trick, no explaining how you should “handle“ this. It is just. Good. Riding that will fix it.

People with inexperience come here looking for the magic bullet that's going to cure their problem all the time. Magic bullets do not exist.

Nobody is being rude. When several people give you the exact same bit of advice, you don't come back sassy to them and tell them they're wrong, you are not “giving up“ and you want that magic bullet NOW, cuz that's why you're here.

You take the advice, or not but the horse is SCREAMING at you that you do not ride well enough TO BE riding it. Accept that and get more experience THEN, in six months, try riding that one again.

Binca, bellalou, Ziast and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.