Horse Dives Away When Loping Simple Circle?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Sierra Frantz, Jan 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sierra Frantz

Sierra Frantz Registered

So the mare I ride does this thing while we're loping where she will dive to a wall suddenly and throw me off in the process, and has done it so much to the point where im now scared to get on her. its only going clockwise, as counterclockwise hasn't given me much issue yet. My fear is bad enough that it affects my ability of riding every horse I get on. She doesn't do this to anyone else.. maybe its because I'm a beginner speed competitor and I dont know what im doing but i really do need help please!

2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

If you are a beginner, stop riding speed events until you know more.

Your mare has your number, dont let her get away with it. Get some lessons to help you learn how to correct this

3. ginster

ginster Senior Member

If she doesn't do this with anyone else riding her it is either because the way you're riding is bothering her/causing her pain OR because she realized she can get you unseated with this.
    Are you riding with a trainer or alone?

NBChoice likes this.
  4. Sierra Frantz

Sierra Frantz Registered

Ive ridden on and off my entire life, and recently took it up as a regular sport two years ago. My trainer has cleared me to begin speed, which is a goal of mine Ive had for years. I asked my trainer about it and she said the girl who used to ride her had the same problem, but the girl is a close friend of mine and shes as tough as anything, so it didnt surprise me she overcame it because shes been on horses her entire life. The other girl who rides her has no issue with that at all either, just little huckle bucks here and there... Im not sure what I should do about myself or the horse

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Oh yeah, she's trying to get you off because she can't stand your being out of balance. Don't ride her at a lope until you CAN stay with the rhythmn with other horses and know you won't annoy her.

And when you do, later, try her at a lope, don't ride her where there are walls~!!

6. Sierra Frantz

Sierra Frantz Registered

I ride with a trainer, and I've asked her about this before. She had an issue like this when she was younger because she thought she could get away with things, but it hasnt been an issue for years. She did it once to my trainer when she threw me off and my trainer corrected her easily because she reads horses better than anyone I know of

7. Sierra Frantz

Sierra Frantz Registered

I'm okay on all the other horses I ride, even the powerhouses.. Theres just something with her I cant get past. As for the no walls thing, my barn doesnt have a proper outdoor area because the entire property was hand built, and due to decline in Western riding in VA, she hasnt had much money or help to continue with projects

8. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Sorry to be blunt, but if you are coming off a horse because she dives out of a circle... you are not ready to be riding in speed events.

9. Sierra Frantz

Sierra Frantz Registered

people come off with temperamental horses, I just need to find out how to handle it. Just because theres a minor issue I need to fix doesn't mean I should give up.

10. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

I think a big thing is if you are scared to ride her, you shouldn't ride her anymore, or at least for awhile. Get your confidence back up with another horse who wont do this with you. I remember riding the schoolies who had weird quirks, and it can be difficult to ask for a different horse, but it's not fair to you, or fun, and to progress in your learning I would switch horses

CarlisleChipper, NBChoice and foxtrot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.