Horse back pain

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Elizabetg11, Jul 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sandstorm

sandstorm Senior Member

Simple question/experiment: is the back pain more evident when he's being worked regularly or when he's had time off?

If his pain is worse when he's in use, retire him. If it's worse when he isn't in use, talk to vets about best way to keep him in shape and reduce the pain. This may be riding or with in hand work like lunging/long lining.

I say this because my horse with back pain is almost reaction free to palpation if she's worked every day, but when she gets a few weeks off I can't even curry her back. Also, my personal experience is that my back issues decrease with varied exercise (flag football is way better than than just going for a run or sitting at home with a book).

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Yeah, that doesn´t add up.
    Were you there when the vets told her that? Could she have misheard, misunderstood because she *wanted* to hear the horse was capable of what she wanted?
    Do you think she would allow you to post the x rays that were done of his back?
    With his history I´d think he would make a nice pasture ornament as long as he is comfortable..

3. Elizabetg11

Elizabetg11 Registered

@sandstorm I want to say it's worse with work. Hard to say just because it can seem that the treatments wear off. The is a raised oblong bump where saddle goes (its scar tissue.)

I think proper work would help but she doesn't know how honestly and doesn't have the time for a committed schedule. That's what I helped but I don't feel great about it anymore.

4. Elizabetg11

Elizabetg11 Registered

@gintser I wasn't there. I was there when one did tell her to retire him and she really didn't like that or believe it because at events he'll perk up.

I doubt she'll let me post them. She is pretty defensive.:(

I've heard enough to know my gut is right so I think my involvement is done. Sad , he's sweet!

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I think you're smart to bow out. The bolded part above says everything you need to know. Not sure how she can think he can improve without a committed schedule, proper work & funds to help is beyond me. It will only discourage her until she finally gives up. I too would bow out and remove myself from the frustration.

manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Probably wise to bow out, there's only so much you can say to someone who really doesn't like the answers and wants to keep trying. It sounds terribly frustrating.

ginster and manesntails like this.
  7. Alsosusieq2

Yes, I agree. Actually scratching my head on that situation.

8. Elizabetg11

Elizabetg11 Registered

Thanks guys. It's been going on for years. I honestly don't understand either, maybe there is some denial going on. I really was trying to hopeful, positive and helpful for their situation but at this point I need to go just ride my own horse and hope she figures it out.

9. Alsosusieq2

That's really all you can do. You're a good friend though. It has to be hard as an owner on her end also, most believe we can always fix something and sometimes it's just not possible.

Don't be a stranger here, enjoyed talking to you. :)

Elizabetg11, GONE ROPING and ginster like this.
  10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Can she afford to get another horse and retire this one? If so, you could keep an eye out for a horse for her that someone needs to find a home for. Something sound, sane, and ridable. At least then you could feel like you are doing something to try and help the situation.

Whenever it's someone else's horse, you are totally powerless to do anything about it and that's a wicked crappy situation to be in.