Horse back pain

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Elizabetg11, Jul 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Elizabetg11

Elizabetg11 Registered

Hi! I was wondering people's thoughts on this horse I ride for my cousin. He has back issues and while we all love him I was thinking about his future. He's a TB/Arab cross and probably 12 years old. After she bought him it was discovered he had back pain. We found out later that he flipped over when being started. He has scar tissue, two almost touching vertabre and some arthritis in his back.

He's very sweet but hard to get going with. My cousin wants to do a bit of everything with him from barrels, reining, eventing ect. I'm a pleasure rider and just help keep him in shape.

What's the realistic prognosis? He has had previcox, but, oral supplements, magnet blankets ect. She did some shockwave and injections . She might try mesotherapy. The lameness vet says oral medicine won't do anything but legends might. He only goes well for a few months. They also suggested more shock wave and mesotherapy. My cousin can't afford it unless I pitch in. I'm willing to do that, but seems like there is no end in sight. How often will we need to do all this? It gets expensive. He is really hard to keep in shape and really been a pleasure horse because of this.

I'd love thoughts. Personally wondering if she should retire him to something lesser like trail rides, dressage or in the pasture.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

He has kissing spine, you don't ride him. Think about how that must feel: two of the vertebrae in your back hit together when you exercise. Excruciating pain.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  3. Elizabetg11

Elizabetg11 Registered

According to the vets its not kissing spines, the vertabre don't touch but are very close. The vets tell her its the arthritis and scar tissue that needs managed. They say he's fine to ride and do what her plans are. But I can't see it. We both struggle and to me it seems thinks aren't going that well. I'm all for him being retired . But the vets told her to keep him in shape, I'm trying to help. It's hard to know when the vets day one thing but I can't understand how things could get better from here.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Logic tells you, if the vertebrae are very close and the horse has arthritis, the vertebrae are hitting together from time to time.
    Don't worry. When the horse has a severely painful moment, he'll throw her so far it'll take her a week to walk home. Then she'll do the right thing and stop riding him.

cmrtoner, tlwidener and Elizabetg11 like this.
  5. Elizabetg11

Elizabetg11 Registered

The vets say because of the swelling, that there was definitely trauma to his back. They talk like all will be fine but in my mind, that stuff doesn't go away. :(

manesntails likes this.
  6. Elizabetg11

Elizabetg11 Registered

Most vets say he will be fine. One said retire asap. Unfortunately he's not mine, I was just hoping to help but nothing seems to actually make things better. I just wanted other opinions as mine and what the vets tell her is very different.

7. Mayelix

Mayelix Senior Member

Have you had the saddle fit professionally checked? If you have an ill-fitting saddle, particularly one that puts pressure on the area of pain, no amount of treatment is going to help that. There is a horse I take care of that has kissing spine and just tacking him up I can tell a difference because he’ll throw a fit with one saddle and stand quietly for another.

ginster and manesntails like this.
  8. Elizabetg11

Elizabetg11 Registered

He isn't mine but yes she had him fitted and rechecked and has different types of saddles. There are bumps on his back, the vets say it's trauma from something. He presents sore whether in work or not.

9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I’d stop riding the poor thing. Regardless of the cause, riding while he’s sore isn’t going to help and will probably hurt. Plus it’s very likely to lead to behavioral issues.

I’d stop riding and I’d take him to a university hospital or specialty clinic for evaluation. If treatment turned out to be hugely expensive with little hope of resolution I’d put him down.

ginster and GotaDunQH like this.
  10. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Retire (to me that means you keep the horse on pasture and let it live out its life or )humanly euthanize.
    He won't be able to do anything other than groundwork.
    I wouldn't ride a horse with back issues like that.

ginster and Larkspade like this.