Horse Auctions

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by SkyeTiger, Oct 7, 2007.

1. SkyeTiger

SkyeTiger Senior Member+

My Dad has helped me and supported me LOTS w/ these horses. It's time that I do something for him. He has always shown an interest in riding and wanting to own his own. So has my sister. I would like to buy them a pair of really nice beginner friendly trail horses that I can teach them both how to ride on.

Should I go to a GOOD well organized/well known auction? Because I only want to spend about $1500 for the pair.

What do you guys think I should do?

Do you think I could find this at some adoption places?

Give me some advice. Are all horses from auctions "bad"? I hear mixed feelings from people.

2. tbtrainer

tbtrainer Senior Member+

There is an auction around here that will sell horses as "sound"...basically meaning you have 3 days to return them if they are not the horse you thought you bought! (Although there are drugs that can make a horse pretty nice for longer than that)...Might be worth the trip down for you, depending on how far you are...the sale is Eylers, you can google it...they were going REALLY cheap Friday night.

3. SkyeTiger

SkyeTiger Senior Member+

Do they have a website?

What is your zipcode (you can pm me) and I'll mapquest it.

So the horses there are good or they aren't? I was kind of confused by what you said. lol

4. tbtrainer

tbtrainer Senior Member+

5. SkyeTiger

SkyeTiger Senior Member+

Anybody else have any opinions or advice?

6. doublebarr

doublebarr Senior Member+

Yep:) And this one is VERY important. You have a very soft, kind heart Sky. Nothing wrong with that EXCEPT when you go to a horse sale.;) You REALLY need to take someone with you that KNOWS horses and then LISTEN to them completely. When they tell you "don't bid on that one" and you REALLY want to because you are so sad for it, DON'T DO IT!!!

You are the type of person that I would never advise going to a sale on their own and buying horses. Not because I don't think you know what your doing, but because of your kind heart.:)

ETA: I do think auctions are good places to get good horses, but only when you have the right "attitude" for it.

7. katylynn06

katylynn06 Senior Member+

I agree take someone with you that is impartial. I have that problem I see a horse I want or feel sorry for and it isn't really the horse I need. I ask tons of questions or will pull someone I know along to look at the horse and most of people I know will be honest with me.

8. Haas Horse Farm

Haas Horse Farm Senior Member+

The problem at many auctions is people let their emotions and not the checkbook and brain dictate what they will purchase. Also you have to know horses. If you cannot spot a drugged horse from 50 yards and/or a stifled, crippled, etc horse within 20 paces you better take someone with you that knows those things. There are good and bad horses at all sales. WHAT EVER YOU BUY AT A SALE SHOULD NOT LOOK LIKE IT NEEDS RESCUED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it does you just wasted your money IMHO.

There are too many good horses with papers selling cheap. BUY something with value not an on going vet bill.

I have to run but I will post more on this later. Check out the horses on my web site ... ALL most all the horses I did not raise were bought at a sale. I bought them cheap for what they are. Some might have been a tad under weight but none have required extensive medical attention. Also I have never had one bring a sickness to my barn from the sale.

9. SkyeTiger

SkyeTiger Senior Member+

That's exactly why I would go w/ you and Mary. You could keep my hand down from wanting to bid on one that I shouldn't. YOu'd have to handcuff me. LOL

10. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member+

Auction aren't necessarily bad, but you have been good advice about not to buy because you feel sorry for the horse. Try to find a sale that is not a "monthly" auction. In my area, everyone brings lame and horses with problems to those. They drug them and try to sell them off as all kid friendly horses. I would say that most people who sell at the monthly sale here do so to get rid of those horses quickly with no responsiblity to the new owners. Check online and at the local feed stores. Good horses are cheap right now and people who have taken the time to list them online or put up fliers seem to have the horses well being taken into consideration more so then those that end up at the monthly sales. Good luck.