Horse as Companion Animal

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Blistering Winds, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

Pocahontas. Because the Ag community IS talking about it. I got notice from my University because of the discussions they are having with the Extension agents and USDA agents.

If this goes through, this MIGHT become a serious question that will be answered and delt with within weeks.

The Ag community is talking about sending a hard message to horse owners for shutting down slaughter.

This is not just hypothetical. This is already being discussed at upper levels of the department of Ag. They are getting feed back FROM the ag Community as we speak.

So people, if you think this is a worthless question, think again.

The Ag community is already in discussions and debates on what to do if slaughter passes at the end of this year. And if it does pass, their response will be soon afterwards. Which is why they are talking now.

2. Blistering Winds

And before slaughter houses opened in the late 60's, horses were NOT a common scene among "companion" people.

They were WORK horses. Seen on ranches. Not often did you see the backyard "puppy dog".

they WERE for the ranches or REALLY rich people. not for the everyday person.

In the 1980's, things changed dramatically. There began the "pleasure" push big time. In the 1990's especially, more horses became the every day, backyard horse than ever before.

**information came from Dr. Baker at WTAMU, Equine and Dr. Pipkin WTAMU Equine Director**

It is ONLY RECENTLY that the horse has been the cuddly wuddly beast that people think of as a companion and not as a work horse.

So SINCE Slaughter, the status of the horse has changed dramatically.

So honestly, quit quoting the past. In the past, people STILL ATE HORSES here. In WW 2, it was pretty common here in the states because the Beef industry BOTTOMED.

Ranchers could just walk out and shoot their horse and bury the body without issues with the EPA. Now a days, they are a pain in our ***** about how we handle the carcassas. ESPECIALLY here in Texas, where our water table is so high, and the city folk just DON"T like drinking dead bodies.

Wild mustangs were rounded up by helicopter and pushed over cliffs or shot to death.

. how we HANDLED horses was different as well and the AMOUNT of horses was dramatically lower too.

Horses were treated in a more "ROUGH" way. Since it was ok then, shall we go back to it now? Horses were starved without a second thought, shall we go back to that?

Things ran just fine, crime was much lower in the past, women didn't work outside the home, shall we go back to that too?

Forget the past. This is a new time, new era. NEW ISSUES and a new status for the horse overall.

The majority of horses are not living on ranches. Not working their ***** off for a snip of oats.

They are being pampered and primped by everyday horse owners who are calling for the stop of slaughter

This is NOT just a hypothetical question. This is something that just MIGHT hit us hard a few weeks after the anti-slaughter bill goes into law.

3. Blistering Winds

That is one of the feedbacks I've gotten. And one of the arguments TO remove the horse from the livestock list. Because horse owners do not want the NAIS. It is being used as one of the reasons TO remove them.

4. Blistering Winds

barn Brat
    Actually, more people are hurt by their dogs every day than their horse. Just not many people actually REPORT the fact that their dog just scraped them up with their nails, wretched their back out of wack by pulling or jumping up on their owner.

And looking around this neighborhood alone, out of 315 houses total......we need more of a push to educate dog owners, because all the obese dogs around here sickens me.

They are doing their dog harm.

So technically, yes horses are more sensitive, but it should take the same amount of intelligence to take care of ANY animal. Just takes a bit of education.

5. SuZQuzie

SuZQuzie Senior Member+

My main concern is that the lawmakers WILL make them companion animals & then set rediculous & unpractical regulations because of what some ran[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Verdana]dom [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]experts say (some of who may have a minority opinion). Most of the Congressional members probably have little clue on what horses are actually happy with & what they aren't. I'm sure most of them still think a pony is a baby horse.

On top of that, when these regulations go to be voted on in a November, the majority of those voting probably have never even han[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Verdana]d walke[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Verdana]d a horse before, let alone know what is proper horsecare. They will just vote for whatever "soun[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Verdana]ds right."[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

6. osage

osage Senior Member

hmmm... lots to think on...question...
    What exactly would happen if they are no longer classified as livestock?
    How would things change?
    I always assumed "livestock" defined any type of grazing animal, and the zoning and restrictions would still be in effect...they would just word it differently. I don't know what to think...have to check out and read more.

7. Blistering Winds

Horses currently give many farms a home property tax exemption.

Once removed, those exemptions go out the door.

That is the current "uproar" that is being spread around. Probably because someone caught wind that the Universities and lower levels began debating that option when HR 857 reared its head. Now that it is being brought back into the debate, more enthusiastic of a debate since the hypothetical issue of HR 503 passing seems to be coming true.....a bunch of people are panicing. And some are blowing it off as propaganda being stirred by anti-slaughter, where they are actually wrong. It is being stirred yes by the Ag community, but as a real life idea being brought to the table if HR 503 does pass.

Also, the USDA has to allocate certain funds to the Equine community for Research and stuff. To help us, what little help we get, with hay, grain, etc. We dont' get a lot, but if they can allocate more resources to more profitable areas....they will

Whether the idea goes through, that is a different bill, different resolution...or whatever it will go through.

But those that argue "Horses are companion animals" are giving the ag community that want the Equine's research funds some serious fuel.

8. Equine_Harmony

Equine_Harmony Senior Member

Hi BW, OK so if Texas has a laws that horses are not to be slaughtered why can they be slaughterd?:confused:

9. Equine_Harmony

Equine_Harmony Senior Member

I am scard for the horses and people who are into farming, need horses to work for them and all. I see the horse as both, once I seen him as a pet, not anymore as I have been educated. The more I learn, the more I really do get timid on how this if it is ilegal will effect people and horses, this is a torn part for me you see, I'm against horse slaughter, yet I see the other side I am just vey torn and it bothers me alot, I sure do hope others like me will come forth...By all mean no debate at all here, just very timid on it all, going back 6 months I would of felt different....