Horse as Companion Animal

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Blistering Winds, Sep 9, 2006.

1. CJ

CJ Senior Member

But if slaughter was banned in Texas specifically, and not the whole country, slaughterhouses would just go across state lines, and go back to business as usual. Like putting a drop of soap into greasewater. >X<
    Sorry was this consumption only banned, or other uses too? *forgets*
    If its c/o and not o/u, I can see the likes of "alpo" thumbing its cold wet nose at the new rules, legally.

2. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

Actually, texas DOES have a law against slaughtering horses. Have had it for many years now.

But this is for the WHOLE COUNTRY.

come on Horse people, Wake up. this is going to affect horses NATION WIDE.

It has been in the news across the nation the past WEEK!

Barn Brat...honestly, it takes a level of skill to properly care for dogs and cats too. But look at the people who own them. Not everyone knows the proper way to care for htem. Horse world is saturated with them as well.

3. Stormy'smom

Stormy'smom Senior Member

LOL could you imagine in the big cities where the houses are so close together you can reach out your window and tap on your nieghbors window? 2 push mower strips for a front yard and maybe 5 strips in the back, fenced off with a horse contained? Well if gas prices keep going up and they allow horses in city limits, I guess that would explain where alot of the unwanted horses would go and gas sells would go way down if they used them for commuting instead of thier cars. But I could only imagine what cities would start to smell like and god only knows the kind of care the horses would get.

4. nickernnod

nickernnod Senior Member+

I wish there were more ranchers on this board. Ask any rancher if their horse is livestock or a companion animal, and you're likely to get a good laugh out of them. Ranchers are getting squeezed out by the dozens and people don't give a hoot what we think anyways, so why bother???

5. Barn_Brat

Barn_Brat Banned

Well true but it is way easyier to get hurt with a thousand pound anima, then a dog

6. CJ

CJ Senior Member

There are horses in Philadelphia. Some are rentals, some are boarders, some are carriagehorses. Perhaps b/c its so old, horses in the city here never Zoned out. Some of them are on skimpy/dirt lots, may or may not have compensatory hay, and some Ive seen profiled recently are on lots with grass that I wished my yard/ field looked that good! Good care can happen on small lots. Neglect can happen on grassy acres.

7. Stormy'smom

Stormy'smom Senior Member

Oh I beleive you CJ. I am one of those on a dirt lot, but they are fed and cared for and are very healthy. I just can't some how see St. Louis allowing horses in ones backyard. I just can't. Although, I have often said if gas prices keep sky rocketing like they have been, you will see me on my horse heading for work.(Our plant manager is also my next door nieghbor.) I'm even trying to get my boss to let me finish out the side of the old barn they use for storing car parts, that has a lean on it, so I can put my horse in while I work all day. They don't use the lean for anything, it's just growning grass and spider webs. They of course look at me like I'm crazy! LOL But the factory is actually about 2 miles outside of city limits and only 8 miles up the road from me. So, it is doable. Maybe if I offer him a ride to work, he'll go for it!

8. pocahontas

pocahontas Senior Member+

Before there was ever slaughter for horses 30 years ago, this was not an issue or a question. As far as horses being livestock or companion animals that is.
    I think people are just pulling out all these "what ifs" And wasting alot of time and energy on it.

Why would it be a question now?

9. doublebarr

doublebarr Senior Member+

I think this is a valid "what if" now because before there was regulated slaughter, there was unregulated slaughter. Then all animal slaughter became regulated to "insure the quality of the meat". Which in and of itself was a good thing, then the buractatic process took over and it became a "who do you know and how can you make it work to your advantage" game for all livestock. It is almost impossible for small branded beef breeders to open a processing plant and pay the fees the "big boys" do to sell their beef to the public, even if they provide a better, safer product.

So just as the buracratic process took over the regulation of slaughter, it will take over the regulation of horses if they are listed as companion animals. Who, of the responsible owners, likes to pay the increased fees for their animals, because of the actions of all the unresponsible owners of just cats and dogs. Because, the fees continually go up to help enforce the laws against those that never care about the fees. The same will happen to horse owners if this trend continues. IMO.

10. harli36

harli36 Senior Member

To be perfectly honest right now I could go either way.

On one hand horses as companion animals would be bad because the horse industry would lose funding for research and because they would lose tax exemption status.

But on the other hand they wouldn't be covered under zoning laws, which is something I feel we shouldn't have the government in charge of anyways. I understand that zoning was put in place to protect animals from neglectfull situations, ie: manure everywhere, not enough space etc. But we should have better animal protection laws anyways(which I personally feel should occur BEFORE slaughter is ended) so maybe horses not being included in zoning laws would get law makers to make better animal protection laws. As the example was already brought up of Philadelphia, that city has a higher animal density ratio then any other region in the state and there are plenty of healthy well cared for animals there.

Another thing that would be good is that horses wouldn't be included in NAIS. I have no problem proving to the county that my horse has had her vacinations, I do however have a BIG problem with the country tracking my horses every move.