Horse as Companion Animal

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Blistering Winds, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Stormy'smom

Stormy'smom Senior Member

AWWWWWWW that is such an adorable picture. Although I wouldn't wanna have to clean that litter box! LOL I would have to agree with BW, I would trust a seeing eye dog over a seeing eye pony any day.

2. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

Slaughter is half way to being shut down for horses. House has approved it. It still has to go to the senate before the end of this year or they have to start over.....

if the senate passes and it is not veto'd by the president.....and then reprocessed in the house......(still has a ton of hoops to jump through)....

Then the slaughter houses will close.

There is a debate in the ag community already beginning......to whether horses should be removed from their umbrella.

Currently the ag community spends money on research for horses, nutrition, allows people to take various tax exemptions because of the fact horses are "livestock".

If the horses are removed from the livestock industry, they will be companion animals officially and fall under any and all companion animal restrictions, lack of tax exemptions, and the ability for city, state, and counties to put restrictions on the owners.

3. imacowgirl2

imacowgirl2 Senior Member+

Didn't read all the posts (bad me!) but as far as my University is concerned, horses already ARE a companion animal...in our companion animal classes we discuss horses, but never in our farm animal classes.

4. cowgurly02

cowgurly02 Senior Member+

Really? I went to an Agricultural college and we covered TONS about horses in all our farm classes. They are still very much considered livestock here.

5. momof5

momof5 Senior Member+

So if the slaughter is banned it would be for the whole US not just Texas.I heard that Texas was banning slaughter.I wasnt sure about the rest of the US.I havent kept up on the issue recently.I think they should still be livestock beacuse some people still use them for farming and ranching as a means of plowing and such and bringing in cattle.I know alot of people around here do.They use them for logging.If they were put on a companion animal list I wonder if that means that they would be aloud to be kept in city limits?

6. TravelingGirl

TravelingGirl Senior Member+

Somehow I can't imagine Trav hanging out on my little 1/4 acre lot.

7. Barn_Brat

Barn_Brat Banned

I dont think so...

Horses are animals that require skill to take care of...
    I couldent see a famikly owning some horse and doing stpid things with it.

But then again who is to say that would happen if they were moved to companion animal

I personally dont see horses as livestock, But to me they dont well qualify to be called pets.

So I suppose I consider them in between

For me..I dunno.
    I havent decided if I think that it is a good idea for the goverment to consdier them pets.

8. Barn_Brat

Barn_Brat Banned

Yeah that to...
    If they were moved to companion animal..Would people be able to stick them in there yard like that?

Because afterall
    Alot of subdivisons say no to livestock on property.
    So if the livestock was raised then people might be able to have in ther backyards..Which of course isent good.

9. Barn_Brat

Barn_Brat Banned

Texas banning slaughter?
    That is where pretty much the only slaughter houses are in america for horses.

10. Barn_Brat

Barn_Brat Banned

Why would anyone bash you.
    Most educated people know that slaughter is something that needs to be around..
    Sadley enough stupid people breed horses and throw then away everyday,
    This population of animals needs to be controlled.
    Same as dogs and cats in shelter..
    I have no problem with animals being humanly euthanized
    It is sad but they go to a better place

cowgurly02 likes this.