Horse as Companion Animal

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Blistering Winds, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

With the possibility of Slaughter ending, should horses be removed from the livestock excemption lists?

IRS already doesn't feel horses are a business, you have to fight to prove it is a business and not a hobby. People want horse slaughter stopped, which is a viable "livestock" argument to KEEP the horses on the list.

However, with no actual livestock PURPOSE if slaughter goes away, Should we move horses to the companion animal lists?

**THIS IS NOT A SLAUGHTER ARGUMENT....This is a LIVESTOCK Excemption ARGUMENT**

harli36 likes this.
  2. ches

ches Senior Member+

Well minis have been used as seeing-eye horses. But by and large, I think that the "companion" argument would fall away because horses generally aren't in-house pets (with exception to Loren & Shell).
    [​IMG]
    [ame="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/55035/seeing_eye_horse/"]*** Video of "Cuddles" ***[/ame]

3. Jennie'sPassion

Jennie'sPassion Senior Member+

Horses are big business if you are lucky in racing and breeding...I honestly don't know what to say. Let me think on it BW. I will come up with an intelligent answer.

4. cassidy

cassidy Senior Member+

who knows if the slaughter will end imo its a good but bad thing..

surely though as for horses not being a business i dunno breeding racing affiliated showjumping ect are all forms of businees are they not??

an if they are not livestock what would happen when it comes to DEFRA ect?? an laws that help horses under the livestock law catergories

5. Blistering Winds

here is some more "food for thought" while you think on this.

Dogs are companion animals
    Dogs can and are a business to many. Many people breed, raise, and train working dogs.

MANY dogs do not live inside. they live outside in yards, tied to chains, or in kennels just for them. Not just working dogs, but every day companion dogs.

There are racing dogs. Greyhounds are still a huge business. Treated like business. Till they are done running. Then many owners adopt them out. one of the guys I worked for in Kansas, was a WONDERFUL greyhound race owner. His dogs were cared for by loving people. When they can't race anymore, he adopts them out. Just for the cost to transfer the registration over.

There are agility dogs, hunting dogs, all who "WORK" For their dinner. And are still loved by their owners.

So if slaughter is no longer an option, which to me, would qualify the horse for livestock exemptions, horses would be no different than dogs in all reality.

Other than bigger housing requirements.

Remember, show jumping, reining, eventing in all honesty, has no benefit to the agriculture community.

Dogs work livestock. Horses work livestock. We are bringing horses to the same "level" as dogs in the world.

So with that little bit of information........

6. Blistering Winds

In my opinion, being an agricultural based person, someone majoring in Ag Business.....

People getting the Agricultural exemption because they have horses, should be removed since the people are shouting out that horses are companion animals, should not be slaughtered, etc.

So, they should be moved to the companion sector and removed those costs and burdens on the USDA and other lists that provide "Ag" type benefits. Research funds can be used on cattle, sheep, goats, and crops that use to be spent on horses.

And let the Cities, Counties, and States regulate the horses just like they regulate companion animals. Make horse owners pay for licenses, prove they have vaccinations, and such just like they do with their dogs and cats.

If horse owners are so set on ending slaughter because a horse is more of a companion, then we need to treat them like companions and not be spending hard earned funds on a product that is no longer a product to the Ag community.

7. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

Don't bash me for this, but slaughter ending will be a bad thing, it might bring on lots of good things, but where are all the horses gonna go? *anyways*

I dunno, depends, stormy is my buddy, if he was small enough, he'd live in my house, he'd need to be litter trained though! Lol

8. Blistering Winds

No one will bash. But this isn't should or shouldn't slaughter end.....this is if it ends.....should they be transferred off the livestock lists and over to the companion animals, removing any and all livestock govt benefits.

9. Cowgirl2135

Cowgirl2135 Senior Member+

I am kind of confuse here. What is happening?

10. Blistering Winds

Cuddles has always been cute. However, a horse vs a dog's reasoning skills, flight/fight responses.....give me a seeing eye dog any day.