Hormone Shots for Geldings???

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Luna9, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Luna9

Luna9 Senior Member+

Alright so, we have already established that Roscoe will mount and "breed" a mare in "his" pasture. I caught him doing it to Luna even though she shouldnt have been in season yet...she obviously was showing all the signs and I read that a mare can put themselves into a "false cycle". Roscoe just simply cannot leave the girls alone and they dont help much cause they literally chase him down!! :rolleyez: So I think we are going to have to remedy this situation a bit differently than originally planned (pulling my mare out during her cycle).

When I move (in July) Im going to be having separate pastures for everyone to avoid this problem and buddy sourness problems that I forsee with Kota. Anyway, right now I dont really have much to work with and Im not wanting to spend more money before a big move of a place that I dont even own to put up a whole separate pasture. So my idea is to split my current pasture with hot wire and place Roscoe in his own little area of the pasture. (Hes very respectful of hot wire...Ive got an 8,000V charger and he doesnt like it, lol)

Now my question is does anyone know anything about these shots they can give geldings to lower the testosterone levels?? Ive had a friend mention them to me but they didnt know much about them and Im clueless about them and cant find much on the net. :confused:

2. Luna9

Luna9 Senior Member+

No one knows about them??? :eek:

3. Chelle2005

Chelle2005 Senior Member+

I have never heard of them before. It would be interesting to hear what others have to say though

4. mdthomer

mdthomer Senior Member

I haven't heard of shots that necessarily lower the testosterone level, but I have heard of and know trainers who use Depo Provera on both their mares and geldings. From what I understand it causes mares to be less "mareish" and geldings to be less aggressive, and overall tone down "hot" horses.
    Might be worth a shot on your boy! (No pun intended) :)

5. jasper45

jasper45 Senior Member

Iv never heard of harmone shots for geldings,sounds like hes proud cut to me and needs to be re gelded.Sorry but no gelding should act like a stallion and if it does theres a serious problem.

6. Nevada_Silk

Nevada_Silk Senior Member+

How old is he and how long has he been gelded?

I ask this as my gelding was 5 when I bought him. He was gelded at 4. He mounted my mare when she was in season. We separated him for about 6 months. He had his own pasture beside the other horses. I put everyone back together to see how it would go and the problem was gone. He is now 16 and hasn't mounted a mare since.

7. Luna9

Luna9 Senior Member+

Its actually alot more common than you think :wink: And hes about the easiest going boy and the only time he really acts like a stallion is when hes loose and in the pasture with mares.

He just turned 6 and we are thinking he was gelded as a 3 year old...I bought him at 4 and he did this then...I sold him for a year and got him back just recently and hes worse about it now than he was before. :eek::rolleyez:

8. Nevada_Silk

Nevada_Silk Senior Member+

Well there goes my theory. :p I'd just separate him or keep him with other geldings. Or....maybe he needs a really mean mare that will kick the tar out of him if he tries. :rolleyez:

9. Silver Georgia

Silver Georgia Senior Member+

haha did somebody call my Angel??:rolleyez::p

10. Kphunck

Kphunck Senior Member

The depo shots are very expensive and made my gelding really uncomfortable for 2 days after getting it...pacing, sweats, etc. He used to get them while at a show barn because he was very aggressive towards the other geldings. Plain and simple growing up and maturing took care of that.

I knew another gelding that got them regularly (as in years and years), but his case was so severe they ran every test in the book because owners were convinced he was a crypt. They never found anything that would account for his behavior, but he would mount mares until he was skinny, call to them at full attention, etc etc. The depo was the only thin that allowed him to be at a "normal" suburbs boarding barn (which had limited acerage).

Some geldings just can't handle being turned out with mares IMO.