Hooves and farriers

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Saph, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Umm.......I don’t get it - if he knew how to fix it, what has he been doing all this time??

I’ve never seen this end well. It’s like trying to instruct a brain surgeon how to do their job better & not being a brain surgeon yourself.......so what? He wants you to pay him & tell him what to do at the same time?!? Ahhh.....?????

Yeah just find another farrier. It means the horses hooves get fixed faster and you don’t have to become a farrier yourself to train your current farrier....

mygirl1197, Dream27 and Saph like this.
  2. Saph

Saph Senior Member

I will get a picture for you.

Thank you so much for the time you have taken to answer my questions and for all the good advice.

3. Saph

Saph Senior Member

I am concerned when he tells me that cracks just form on barefoot hooves without any reason. That makes me wonder how he is going to fix them if he doesn't know why they formed in the first place.

I am especially concerned about the crack on his back hoof. This was not there until he took over the horse. It has gotten very bad. Seems to have gotten much worse since the last trim

It also looks like cracks are starting to form on the other feet

4. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

The cracks are because the toe is too long and because of the flares you can see on the toe quarters so the pressure makes the cracks.

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

All horses in my care are barefoot.......not a single one has cracks.....and trust me, we have a clay base & it gets HARD when it’s dry here. Also we’ve had nothing but freezing rain and ice the last month....the ground is rock hard and lumpy (thankfully we have a bit of snow cover now). Again zero cracking hooves.

None of my horses have as much foot as yours does. Not even the ones we end up delayed to 8eks post trim have that much foot!

mygirl1197, ginster and Saph like this.
  6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

No, I would not. As others have said, if it was done properly the first time, it wouldn't have happened. I'd tell him thanks but I'm going to move on.

Saph likes this.
  7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

How long has he been doing the horse's feet? Did he take over recently? If not, I would be hesitant to let him fix his own mess...

8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Calypso's first farrier insisted her feet would always crack because she was just 'built that way' and (rudely) shut me down when I questioned him.
    After using him for several months and growing tired of his attitude and insistence that her feet were as good as they could get, I switched to a barefoot trimmer.

Crack was GONE in two trims, and it has never come back.

Saph, Rhythm 'n Blues and ginster like this.
  9. Saph

Saph Senior Member

About 7 months.

10. Saph

Saph Senior Member

Farrier now claims that he was brought the wrong horse the last time, and these feet were last done 12 weeks ago.
    Excuses excuses excuses.
    I've told him that he is not going to do the horse anymore.
    Now he has told me that he will pay me to let him fix the feet. My take on this is that he doesn't want another farrier to see how bad the feet have become.

Rhythm 'n Blues and ginster like this.