Hooves and farriers

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Saph, Mar 1, 2019.

1. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Agree.....eeek those are bad. I see a problem with BOTH the toes AND the heels. The heel is non-existent, shot forward and under-slung. The toes way too long, and the angle of the foot....well it's like trying to run with skis on. I see this over and over again.....no heel and all toe. But, with a GOOD farrier who knows how to trim and get the right angles to match the horse's angles "north" of the foot....you wouldn't have cracks etc.

Saph and Dream27 like this.
  2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

:eek:<---- My face when I saw the photos.

NEW TRIMMER ASAP.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  3. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

^LOLOL! Because I'm blonde....this was my "eeek" response.
    [​IMG]

bellalou likes this.
  4. Saph

Saph Senior Member

Thank you very very much for your opinions. I have been getting more and more skeptical, but I didn't trust my abilities enough to judge what I was seeing.

Armed with this information from knowledgeable people, I'm feeling confident to tell the farrier to take a hike.

I really appreciate everyone's opinion

Dona Worry and GotaDunQH like this.
  5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

My advice is to look at other horses feet. When you see horses with consistently good trims, ask who the farrier is.

6. Saph

Saph Senior Member

Thanks Bellalou, that is very good advice.

I've spoken to the farrier and he wants me to let him fix it. Would you be inclined to let him try?

7. slc

slc Senior Member

Didn't he have a fair amount to do with those feet getting to be that way in the first place? I think it is unfair to blame a farrier for something he took on one shoeing ago, especially if the horse goes a long time between trims, but if he has any long-term acquaintance with those feet and you call him every six to seven weeks, no, I would not be inclined to see him continue that acquaintance.

Saph likes this.
  8. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

My question is, if he knows how to fix it, why would the feet look like this? Is he willing to take helpful advice and instruction? I tried this with one farrier not too long ago. The horse's feet were fixable with one trim and I knew it. Farrier said it would take months. After paying for 2 trims with no progress or improvement and butting heads, I switched farriers. In one trim, fixed and the horse felt and moved much better.

Saph and GotaDunQH like this.
  9. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Of course. Everyone should be given a chance if they want to improve and try to fix things. But until you really understand it, how will you really be able to explain what needs to happen ? I will tell you that he may have an explanation for the way he has trimmed his feet. I'm not saying it's right, but there is more at play like the depth of soles which can determine that parts of the hoof be left somewhat longer than they "perfectly trimmed" would be. For instance, I have to leave my gelding's toe longer than I would like to. I do it because he doesnt have as thick of soles as he needs and im not ever sure he will have. I also would like to know before passing judgement here...a) how long exactly was that trim and the one before it (you said trimmed 4 weeks ago apparently, so I'm assuming you don't know exactly...is this your horse and if so, you don't see them on a regular basis to know when they were trimmed exactly ?)
    B) how long has the current farrier been managing these hooves
    C) look at the toe calluses on those hooves. Don't mess with those. Absolutely do not touch these soles,you have what looks like some good depth going on. These feet are long in the hoof wall and need some beveling because they're too long...I see improvements that can happen with nutrition improvement. What is this horses diet ?
    D) is this horse in work, on turnout or in a stall ? That horse had some nice frogs, dont go overtrimming here. You cant take too much heel off or he will be walking on his heel bulbs. You just need to tighten these feet up, and they do need some work but they're not the worst ones ever seen.
    E) is the horse sound and do you know how to evaluate hoof landing pattern of movement?
    F) i like to see horse squared so i can see hoof in relation to rest of body

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Saph likes this.
  10. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I forgot and I think you mentioned...but how long has he been trimming your horse?? There would be nothing for him to "fix" if he trimmed those feet correctly in the first place.

Saph likes this.