Hoof trim

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Emma&Slim09, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Emma&Slim09

Emma&Slim09 Senior Member

How do Slim’s feet look? I moved barns about 2 months ago and with doing so I had to find a new trimmer. His living arrangements have changed entirely. He went from being stalled at night to living out 24/7. The terrain has also changed some too. Went from being mostly flat to a little more of a rocky/woodsy area. This is the second time I’ve had his feet done with her. She did comment that his feet had vastly improved since the last trim. Previous trimmer had been doing him for the last 10 years or so. He’s been barefoot for as long as I’ve had him (12 years) he’s 20 years old. He’s trimmed on a 6 week rotation. His hind right foot had a couple abscesses blow out at the coronary towards the end of July or August, so those are still growing out. The groove on the quarter was placed by the previous trimmer. No trouble with lameness before/after trims with either person. We are still battling a touch of thrush as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dona Worry likes this.
  2. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I'm surprised none of the other hoof gurus have jumped in. There does seem to be some improvement with the new trimmer, but there is definitely still room for improvement. If you draw a line down the front wall of the hoof you want it to be nice and straight without any gaps or bulges. Your new trimmer is bringing the heels back which in turn is bringing the toes back. If she put a bevel on the toe from the bottom she would be able to bring the toe back more quickly, but there is already some improvement without it. I would keep taking pictures after each trim so you can track the progress of the hoof shifting back.

3. Emma&Slim09

Emma&Slim09 Senior Member

@barrel_racer64 this is the last set of pictures I have from the previous farrier. These were taken back in April of 2017. I should have taken photos of the last time he trimmed his feet in October before the new trimmer but it never dawned on me to do that.

One thing I have noticed over the last couple weeks is that he doesn’t seem to trip over his feet nearly as often as he used to. I had attributed it to him being lazy and not picking up his feet but it could have been the way his feet were before? I don’t know it could just be entirely coincidental too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

Tripping could definitely be attributed to the trim, especially since he has improved with a different trimmer. My guess is that you will continue to see an improvement in his gait the more his toe and heels come back.

5. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

They look on the way to improvement but aren't there yet. The toes are still way too long and that will definitely attribute to tripping. Before I starting trimming Chevy myself I could always tell when he was due for a trim because he'd start tripping. Now he never trips because I trim him every month to keep his toes and breakover in the right place.

As an owner, you don't have to do the actual trimming to understand what needs to be done and why. You can go to the ELPO website Home and read up on how to map the hoof. If nothing more, you will clearly be able to see what is 'off' about the feet and what needs to be done so you can have this conversation with your farrier. Also, the foot shouldn't be trimmed flat all the way around. From the heels that should be flush with the soul there is a very slight increase in wall length as to protect the toe pillars at the toe end.

From a person that is calling themselves a professional trimmer I really don't like the issue with the bars on the right hind. Next to the bars on both sides you see a dark line. That means the bar is still high and that dark line is dirt. As the bars grow, and if left too long thus starting to bend over, that dirt will get trapped and can cause real problems with bacteria. I expect better from a professional. On a couple of the feet the heels aren't even in the back which means there is imbalance - not good either.

If you want help with mapping and understanding what it tells you about the foot then do the mapping (super easy) take good photos and post them here. We'll be happy to help you 'read the map' so you know what to tell your farrier next time.