Hoof Rings Laminitis or Diet Change?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Alyssa Hughes, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

My 3 year old gelding has a hoof ring (hoof is all smooth above this ring) and I want to make sure they are from diet change and not laminitis. He has never been overweight. I feed/work/check him daily and I've never noticed ANY sort of soreness on his hooves. He walks on rocks with no soreness either. There is absolutely no separation of the hoof wall from the sole. He has been on grass all summer then got put on Nutrena SafeChoice, but I have switched him to Nutrena SpecialCare. I am aware of the fact that his hooves need done and he has an appointment I will ask the farrier then, but I want (hopefully) peace of mind. The photos make it look more severe than it really is. You can hardly notice it unless you feel his hoof. _MG_8141.JPG _MG_8143.JPG _MG_8144.JPG _MG_8139.JPG

2. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

My horse has some rings too and was told by my Ferrier his hooves are fine that it was from diet change from when I got him. I was concerned of laminitis as well but all checked out by both Ferrier and vet.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

That's normal. Ridges that protrude and curve that stick way out, those mean something. These are just what's called grass rings. He had a better diet after the ring than before.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

There is such a thing as 'grass rings'. When the shape of the hoof is not abnormal, and there are just the rings, it may not be about laminitis.

5. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Nutritional changes. Also that toe and quarters are flared and run forward and medial lateral balance is lacking.

6. Alyssa Hughes

Yes I know. I have been pushing his farrier appointments closer and believe it or not this is 6 weeks after a trim.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Alyssa Hughes

Thank you all sooooo much! It is such a relief to know it was just grass rings. I am such an overprotective horse mom :love:

Misty H, manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

I didn't say they were grass rings. I said they could be.

9. Alyssa Hughes

Yes, but that was my guess from the beginning and just wanted others to confirm it. I will have my farrier check of course!

10. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Agree with Manes, the newer growth was a better diet for him. So the summer grass appears to have been a better diet than what he was getting before that.

Alyssa Hughes and manesntails like this.