Hoof Cut Too Short

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by kat399, May 7, 2008.

1. kat399

kat399 Senior Member

I had my farrier out last night and he accidently nipped one of Fancy's clefs too short. It was a very small cut, but bled quite a bit. He told me she'd be tender for a few days, but he got the bleeding stopped quite quickly. It really doesn't look that bad and is a nip about an inch long and she doesn't seem to be favoring that hoof. Is there anything I should be putting on it to help it heal and/or to prevent infection. My pasture is really muddy and full of manure from over the winter, so I want to make sure not to get any infection or an absess.

2. Care To Jazz?

Care To Jazz? Senior Member+

I would just wash it out a few times a day and keep her on a clean dry area

3. equestriandynam

equestriandynam Senior Member+

hm, nipped it that close? new farrier anyone??

4. canadianlover

canadianlover Senior Member+

ohh dear. I would have lost it- im not really sure what advice to give to you because i have never had that, or a similar injury happen to my horse- good luck getting your mare back to perfect health as soon as possible :)

5. kat399

kat399 Senior Member

No, I like my farrier. Fancy has black hooves, and he's done her many times. This time she decided to be a jerk and tried to rear on us. He had been in the process of nipping and she pulled it out of his hand and she stepped down on the handle. It was kind of a freak accident.

6. EQRider

EQRider Senior Member+

My farrier has never done that either. I know mistakes can happen, but I would seriously evaluate if this guy is really worth it. A small nick now, next time it could be worse. I would definatly keep her somewhere dry and clean too, if at all possible.

7. equestriandynam

equestriandynam Senior Member+

Ah, thats a different story then. crazy horses. :no:

8. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Every farrier or trimmer who has worked on enough horses has made one bleed accidentally. ESPECIALLY if that horse is jerking around. Unless it was deep, it should heal quickly. If it makes you feel better, use vet wrap and a little duct tape to keep it clean for a few days.

9. kat399

kat399 Senior Member

Do you guys think I should be cleaning it with anything?

10. Care To Jazz?

Care To Jazz? Senior Member+

water ;)

I agree with JB, they're human, and it really sounds like it was the ponie's fault, not the farrier. You might want to work a bit with her on that..

who's your farrier anyway?