1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Hoof cottage cheese? White crumbly stuff. *PICS*

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Rangers4-h, May 4, 2009.

1. coley041190

coley041190 Senior Member

2. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

Like has been said it looks like the sole is exfoliating, not a big worry. But I keep a spray bottle of iodine provodine (betadine) mixed with equal parts water and sometimes a splash of listerine (which is a mild antisceptic). It's a nice treatment that will help keep thrush and other yuck at bay. During the winter I generally spray it in Romeo's hooves twice a week. It's a lot cheaper than the thrush meds and doesn't kill the healthy cells like bleach and peroxide can.

3. imjustjoking22

imjustjoking22 Senior Member+

Huh, I have often seen thrush cause white stuff as it works its way into the foot. If it is smelly and white that is the first thing I would go to- and thrush meds have always cleared up the problem :confused: vet has agreed (my old horse had chronic thrush)
    (ok I should probably clarify that I mean white after the hoof is picked)

ETA: "A strong, unpleasant odor is the most obvious sign that your horse is suffering from thrush, though a white powdery substance around the frog is also a good indicator." http://horse-care.suite101.com/article.cfm/treating_your_horse_for_thrush (Ack, coley posted already, sorry!)

Now I am very confused...haha

4. jade77

jade77 Full Member

thrush, u could use trushbuster, or 1/2 bleach 1/2 water on the sole only, or koppertox also my mare was lame from thrush when it was really bad. Hope that helps...

5. RickB.

RickB. Banned

I have taken the liberty of cutting and pasting a couple of things from the aforementioned article. These things, unless there is new research of which I am unaware, are incorrect and may cause someone to incorrectly identify thrush and institute an incorrect or improper treatment protocol.

Incorrect. Horses living in what many would consider to be pristine conditions have contracted thrush while other horses living in slop and muck have not.

Incorrect because the thrush organism is a bacteria, not a fungus. Correct that the bacteria is anaerobic and will not survive in an oxygenated environment. Unfortunately, the bottom of the hoof is not what one would consider to be an ideal oxygenated environment.

It depends.

Not true in any respect.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

From the pictures, I don't see anything "white" other flaky/crumbly exfoliating sole - normal.

The picture marked "left front 2" shows a foot that is out of balance - the outside (right side in the pic) has a higher heel (more forward) causing the other side (inside, left in the pic) to flare out. That alone can make a foot sore. But there could be any number of other reasons to be sore, some of which don't even include the hoof.

If he's lame and you can't figure out why, your vet needs to come out.

7. 805Farrier

805Farrier Full Member

And can be very swollen if the horse is in a extremely wet environment. If a very wet hoof is trimmed to a normal length and taken to a dry environment where the hoof drys out the horse will likely be short and sore!

8. coley041190

coley041190 Senior Member

:D That is what works best in most cases!

9. 805Farrier

805Farrier Full Member

Kinda makes you laugh what you can find on the internet! The whole only thrush stinks arguement makes me feel the author had never been exposed to canker!

10. Rangers4-h

Rangers4-h Full Member

I moved him to a dryer pasture, i put hydrogen peroxide on all four feet, lunged him at a walk just to stretch it out and unstiffen it. Hes taking it like a trooper! I am so proud of him! lol corny i know but he has been through this before. Thank you guys so much for the advice! I am hoping it will get better. I am going to call the vet and tell her what is going on and if she thinks she needs to look at it i will have her out to the barn. I also might try cow mastitis treatment someone said it works wonders!