Hoof Boots - Cavallo Trek or Renegade Viper?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Circle C, Mar 23, 2018.

?

Cavallo Trek or Renegade Viper?

1. Cavallo Trek

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Renegade Viper

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

What are the boots for? Riding or turn out? Personally I find the design of the Cavallos to be very restrictive to the horse and are best only for turn out if in the case of a padding needed for any reason. Renegades are more designed for movement and will not hinder the horse.
    It also greatly depends on the shape of your horses foot. I would speak with reps for both companies, send them your horses measurements and photos and let them help you decide which would be more beneficial.

mygirl1197 likes this.
  3. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

They would be for trail riding. The Cavallo Treks are super soft and flexible. I don't know that they'd be that restrictive?

4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

The Renagade rep has already gotten back to me. I am going to send her pics tonight. Thanks for the suggestion!

5. CoopersPprScpr

CoopersPprScpr Senior Member

From what I understand, the Renegades work best with a super low heel. Have you looked into Scoot Boots at all? I am in the same boat as you, so many options out there it's hard to know where to start! I am currently using Easy Boot Trails - they are easy to get on and off and stay put, but they also collect sand and dirt in the boot which I don't like. I wonder if the Cavallos would do the same?

6. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Yeah, idk. I emailed pics and measurements to both renegade and cavallo. We'll see what they say.

I've never heard of the scoot boots?

7. DelP

DelP Senior Member

I love my Vipers. The horse I use them on has very sensitive skin so I have to use boots that mostly touch the hoof like Vipers or he rubs.

They do require a very specific trim so if your horse has a lot of flare, long toes, or crushed heels they may not work, but the company will happily look at pics and let you know.

I’ve never had problems with the boots coming off even when galloping.

I did look at Scoot boots but from what it sounds like they are a pain to put on and if your hands aren’t really strong you’ll need a tool like a hoof pick to fasten them. I like the looks though.

8. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I've never heard of the low heel thing. they are adjustable and Renegades have two different types of heel captivators for different shapes.

9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I has the original cavallos - never again. They created so much knee action in my horse it was crazy. He went from a nice WB to looking like he was half hackney with those boots on. He had to wear them for 3 months for an abcess (riding & turn out), and he never adjusted back to his WB movement with those things on. As soon as we took them off, he went back to traveling like a WB.

I have old school renegades for another horse, and it hasn't changed her movement at all. We tried the cavallos on her (same as the above horse wore) and yup, she went hackney style right away, so I sold them & just borrowed my friends renegades for the time they were needed. So that's where I'd go given my experiences.

Circle C likes this.
  10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I have decided against the cavallos.

I am considering scoot boots now.

HnA Tack likes this.