Homemade waterproof riding skirt

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Winchester, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Sempiternal

Sempiternal Senior Member

Well I did it. There were two pelts in an eBay auction for pretty cheap. I've been eyeing them up for the last week or so. The BIN price was reduced dramatically within the last few days, and still I hedged. Well I just bought both for $119.99 shipped.

:faint:

Winchester and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Winchester likes this.
  3. Sempiternal

Definitely! It might be a bit before I even start considering I have finals and then the holidays immediately follow. Well, and my sewing skills are rusty to begin with and I've never worked with a pelt or hide, so this should be interesting.

Winchester likes this.
  4. Rhythm 'n Blues

^ I'm going to assume hand stitching is going to be the way to go with that, but I have never worked with a pelt or hide before.......

Excited to hear about it though!

5. Sempiternal

So....my eBay order was cancelled by the seller with no real explanation. :cry:

6. Rhythm 'n Blues

oh that totally sucks :cry:

7. Sempiternal

I almost finished mine. The waistband still needs to be sewn on, but my lovely 40s sewing machine doesn't seem to want to work anymore (I think the layers are getting too thick) and I put a hole in the outer fabric pulling the seams for it. So, I may pay someone to finish it up for me. I also need to figure out what fastener I want to use.

The wool lining is much more green than it photographs as. I wish it was this teal!

8. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

:eek2: Oh my word @Sempiternal that looks AMAZING! :bow: Mine isn't nearly as clean cut and sleek. Yours could be an "out on the town" skirt too!

9. Sempiternal

I think the weight of the fabric really helped with that. The outer is WeatherMax 85, which I got a good deal on 5 yards of 2nds quality (can't tell what is wrong with it to make it 2nds). It's technically a marine fabric, but has good breathability, UV resistant and is waterproof.

Now if you could see my crooked stitchline....lol! Which of course is dark brown because that is the color fabric I originally ordered (they were out of course).

It's also super full. Much like the Arctic Horse one that can kinda double as a quarter sheet.

Rhythm 'n Blues and Winchester like this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

That is really beautiful. I've been dying to see how it'd come out. Seriously, geez..you're right Winchester-!! :)