1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Homemade waterproof riding skirt

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Winchester, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

Bit of a brag, bit of an encouragement... I recently made my own waterproof, fleece-lined riding skirt and am rather chuffed with myself!

20161119_104525-1.jpg 20161119_104551-1.jpg
    I may have never sewed anything without my mother's help, because I am not a crafty person and I have always found sewing tedious and difficult, however I recently made my own fleece saddle covers successfully which really boosted my confidence.

I've been following an Alaskan company for a while now who made waterproof riding skirts, but their prices are *way* beyond anything I can afford, so I started wondering if it was something I could do myself. I did a lot of Googling, and eyed a few riding skirt patterns from Suitability, and our own Rhythm n Blues provided me with some suggestions and encouragement. I discovered simple tutorials for circle skirts on Pinterest and figured it was probably something I could do without messing up too badly.

I ran into a few different speed bumps, but was able to circumvent them and ended up with a warm, waterproof skirt that keeps me toasty and dry during our wet BC rides!

20161119_104540-1.jpg

I have to add in a couple more small details to really finish it off (a bit more velcro, possibly some kind of leg strap), but it's currently rideable and very efficient.

So for you folks pondering if a DIY project is worth it, it definitely is - because if I could sew this by myself, you are capable of literally anything :ROFLMAO:

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

That is a great idea, I wonder about making one just to keep warm in the dry but bloody cold Prairies

Winchester likes this.
  3. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

Fleece is such a wonderful extra layer... I didn't think it would make much of a difference but it really did on my thighs!

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Super job!! It came out really well. :)

5. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Make a wool one moosey :)

mooselady likes this.
  6. Sempiternal

Sempiternal Senior Member

What fabric did you use for the top? I'm envisioning a lovely elk skin lined one, but that's probably outside my budget and I'm pretty sure my sewing machine couldn't handle it.

Winchester likes this.
  7. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

I almost gasped when you said elk skin lined, that would be beautiful!

The fabric I used is called "ripstop" and was in the liner section of my local Fabric Land. It's used for sporting/outdoor equipment, picnic blankets, etc. Lightweight but plasticyplasticy in feel.

8. Sempiternal

Sempiternal Senior Member

Or reindeer like what Aisha got as a pad....hmmmm

9. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

Reindeer pelts are cheap in Europe...

10. Caoimhe

Caoimhe Senior Member

Hahaha I totally know the Alaskan company you're talking about and I completely agree the prices are too spendy. I was actually considering reindeer pelt lining but wasn't sure if it would shed too much!

But my parents also just bought a few reindeer pelts and offered me a couple for my horses. :love: So that would cut down on price haha!

Winchester likes this.