Home sedation for dogs?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Heavenly Jumper, May 8, 2009.

1. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator

I know this is a strange question. I am trying to think of a solution for Conrad as he is a special needs case.

Most dogs can handle training to get past a fear issue, in this case it is his fear of having his nails clipped. He shuts down SO badly that I can't reward him at all for even the smallest improvement. We are having to move much slower with this than we need to. His claws are getting overgrown, badly.

I know that meds are usually administered by a vet, but I can't get him out of the house yet without scaring the tar out of him. He's making progress and I am afraid that if I crate him, drive him to the vet and he is poked, clipped and the like, that he'll never want to go outside again. I wanted to work him up in stages to riding in the car and going outside.

Aside from training and going to a doctor, is there anything I can do to get him to relax for this? Something that will make him sleepy and less likely to go berserk or shake. I am thinking of something like ACE for horses...but appropriate for dogs.

I hate to feel like I am looking for a lazy solution or an easy way out, but this is a severe case. :eek:

I PLAN to get him used to working with his feet, but claws are something that need to be taken care of periodically before the quick grows super long. Wyatt's been having his toenails done (clip first, then moved up to dremel 2x a week) so long that his toenails are short enough that they do not touch the floor when he walks. Conrads are beginning to curl and press his toes upward when he walks. Not to mention being dangerously sharp.

2. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

You can get ace for dogs. It comes in little tablets. :D

3. Arco

Arco Senior Member+

That doesn't sound like an easy or lazy way out at all Heather - it sounds like the kindest way for him at the moment. I honestly can't give you an answer though. I'm pretty sure that over here you can get a mild sedative for dogs who are scared of car journeys, to administer at home. I don't think it sounds like that kind of thing would be strong enough for Conrads needs, but just the fact that it's available suggests to me that what you're saying might be a possibility. Does the rescue he is from have a resident vet or a vet they always use? If it's not possible to get sedatives to give him yourself, might it be possible to get the rescue to get their vet to do a house call, sedate him and do his nails for you?

4. doubledutch

doubledutch Full Member

depends on how big he is. I can safely give my 12lb poodle 1/2 a dramamine and it makes her easyer to handle for nails and such, and also makes her less nervous while riding in a car. We once gave a 10lb cat 1/2 a dramamine and he slept for 2 days while on a long distance move by car.

was he an abused dog/ if so he may need to gain more trust in you, if not I would nock his rear out some and get the nails done, after a few times the fear should dim as he figures out it isnt too bad, especially if he gets a favorite treat at the end.

5. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator

Oh great! I will ask the vet that our center uses if he can get some. I will also see what else he might recommend.

Thanks Jo. I was feeling rather lazy considering how much emphasis I myself put on training. Especially when others use sedatives in place of it. :eek: You make me feel much better about it.

He is a shelter/rescue puppy and I've had him for a month and he is so bad that we can only make very small progress at a time. :) If something too stressful happens he backtracks days worth over it. He's a difficult one that's for sure.

Your suggestion of dramamine made me think to look up melatonin in use for dogs. I have 3mg melatonin tablets that I take to help me sleep when my husband changes from day to night shifts.

Here is what I found -

6. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

hmm..haven't heard of a vet prescribing melatonin for anything other than a hair loss issue in chiuahuas......interesting read.

Dramamine and Benedryl are usually the "OTC" advice my vet gives. She has prescribed ace for major cases.

7. ApacheWarrior<3

ApacheWarrior<3 Senior Member

That is amazing. I'm sure I've heard that before but wow, there are definitely some cases that could really use that. :D

8. Theorist

Theorist Senior Member+

Ace, rescue remedy. Baby steps...
    I have one rescue dog who is like jello for anything, the other is a bit of a challenge. I have had her from 3 months. The first time I did her nails I did quick her and she has never forgotten. I don't blame her. So I have had to fix what I did break. I try to just laugh at her as she objects. I mess with her nails as often as I can. Giver her treats for just letting me mess with her nails. I tried a dremel, she hates the sound. A muzzle she gives right in to. I hate a muzzlel, so I was determined to do it without the muzzle. She doesn't bite but she growls and cries and makes such a fuss. BUT last week I was able to get all four feet done with minimal fuss. It has taken well over a year. I know it is hard to reward or make it fun, but maybe make the messing with his feet part of the fun pre trying to do the nails. I feel your pain! I was semi happy thru all of my dog's surgeries as they did her nails 4x while she was under. How much easier does it get~!

9. WashingtonBay

WashingtonBay Senior Member+

Yes, you can get Ace for dogs... We usually have some on hand on the fourth of July for our nervous dog. At his dosage, one pill takes the edge off... two makes him pretty 'out'.

Takes a while to work... about 2 hours, and lasts a long time when it does, so...

10. nicz2cu

nicz2cu Senior Member+

I'd try Rescue Remedy, it works on Chi's :) .