Home remedies to clean ear piercings?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TB4life, Mar 15, 2010.

1. TB4life

TB4life Senior Member+

4 weeks ago I got my second lobe piercings. I'm almost out of the cleaning stuff they gave me, and I'm supposed to clean them twice a day for 6 weeks. Is there anything I could put together myself, or do I need to go buy some more? Thanks!

2. lbandrew

lbandrew Senior Member+

Mix a pinch of salt in a cup of warm water. Make sure the salt is dissolved, dip a cotton ball in, and violĂ ! Saline solution. It's actually better than that stuff they tell you to buy. ;)

3. james786

james786 Registered

Thanks for this info. I will also try to use this mixed stuff. Its cheap and seem to be very effective.

4. cassidy

cassidy Senior Member+

salt water :)

5. sqshers

sqshers Senior Member+

haha, salt water is waaaay better than the alcohol they told us to use way back when i was a kid! Ouch!

6. WhitneyM

WhitneyM Senior Member+

They told me for my belly button and newer piercings to use salt water, the place I got my belly button pierced actually gave me salt. Last time I got my ear pierced they told me that you can either leave it and not clean it and then just clean it once in a while or you can clean it with salt regularly. Personally I don't clean my piercings anymore on a regular basis. Your in four weeks, chances are you don't have to clean it that much, second lobe piercings can get changed earlier then cartilage so they must heal faster. Its really not as important, clean it once every few days with salt water and you will be fine.

7. TB4life

TB4life Senior Member+

Thanks so much!! :)

8. Feliche

Feliche Senior Member+

I think hydrogen peroxide is a godsend. It's like my Windex to that guy from My Big Fat Greek Wedding :wink: The stuff is nice, though...and if you go to Icing, they have FOAMY stuff now!! :applause: Yaay! I love the foamy stuff :eek:

ParkedOut likes this.
  9. Berlunz

Berlunz Senior Member+

I second the hydrogen peroxide. When I got my ears pierced they didnt give anyone a cleaning solution or tell anyone to buy one. But they did tell us to use hydrogen peroxide. I would fill the cap take my earings out and drop them in while I used a dipped q tip to clean my ear piercings. It was fun watching them bubble and no pain.

It worked wonders for me everytime I did it. At the time we didnt realize I was allergic to the metal they used to pierce and it could have been a lot worse had I not been using it.

10. all4him

all4him Senior Member+

Peroxide is not that great beyond the initial cleaning of wounds because it actually inhibits healing. I'd go with the alcohol or salt water instead.