home remedies for rain rot

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by KyHJ, Dec 18, 2005.

1. KyHJ

KyHJ Full Member

Ok so i have been having a "friend" feed, ride, and groom one of my horses for me. I usually check on him once a week (just an eyeball) to make sure he's ok. We'll she left to go out of town for the holidays today so i went out to feed him and groom him. I pulled his blanket off and ran my hand over his back and discovered he's covered in rain rot. Poor guy obviously has not been getting groomed like he's supposed to. Anyways i have a tiny bit of muck-itch left which i sprayed on him today, however when thats gone i'm up a creek b/c i dont have the money to buy him more. I'd rather not dip into my emergency fund to pay for a bottle of fungus spray if i dont have to. Does anyone have any easy, low cost, home remedies for getting rid of rain rot?

2. BonnieM

BonnieM Senior Member+

Iodine, betadine, and Listerine! All were advised to me on this forum... I had some iodine, and it worked just great.

BonnieM

3. Xiphias

Xiphias Senior Member+

yup listerine mixed half with water, is what I heard too, just spray it on...good luck Cathy

4. Limmerick

Limmerick Senior Member+

I've had great luck with Iodine and, in the warmer months, Betadine scrub used as a shampoo!

5. Idrivetrotter

Idrivetrotter Senior Member+

I use full strength listerine, first, gently scrub the scabs off, apply listerine liberally, and do this for 2-3 days, keep the scrub brush soaking in either bleach or iodine solution to keep from cross contamination. By day 3-4 should be done, then, keep using a nice ointment with aloe and vitamin E to keep the skin soft so the hair comes back.

6. Fox Glove

Fox Glove Senior Member+

I do that same as Idriveatrotter,
    But I use Desenex, or the cheap drug store brand of it..
    I find the zinc helps with all creeping crud..
    AandD , or the generic version is great too .

Just my two pence.
    Paula

7. CJ

CJ Senior Member+

Shenandoah had rain rot pretty bad once. Iodine seemed to be the magic ingredient.

8. Asfaloth

Asfaloth Senior Member+

What can you do in winter months for a draft horse with hairy feet and legs and has that nasty fungus in his fetlocks? We figgure we'd have to clip his legs to get to the skin with the listerine but it is cold and a lot of snow and mudd so he needs his leg hair so we can't clip it. Any suggestions?

9. MaggieSue

MaggieSue Senior Member+

You can use one of the grooming blocks on your horse. The 'slick groom' I think it's called.

10. WildHorseSpirit

WildHorseSpirit Senior Member+

When I have a case of rainrot we use Absorbine Liniment straight on the area and brush it in. A couple days and it goes away.

Test a small area to make sure your horse doesn't have a reaction to the liniment first as a precaution as some horses are sensitive.