home-made show sheen recipes?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by Ayedeas, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Paprika can help keep a coat from fading. It does test positive in drug tests as capscacin

prairiesongks likes this.
  2. FoxCrestAPH

FoxCrestAPH Senior Member

I would dilute ACV in a spray bottle.
    It mostly just helps cut through grime and sweat that makes coats look dull. If I'm sponging off saddle marks after a ride, I always splash ACV in the water bucket.
    But other than that, the best thing for shine is a good diet and lots of currying. The curry comb isn't my favorite brush "just because". :)
    For manes and tales though, I'd just use coconut oil.

3. fennecfox

fennecfox Senior Member

Best way to get them to shine naturally is a good diet and regular grooming with quality grooming tools.

I only use a grooming aid for my horse's tail to keep it detangled, although I rarely brush his tail because I want it to be full and thick. I use Show Sheen for that. It's not a chemical-laden nightmare of a spray--it just dries them out if you use it too much.

4. Samarama

Samarama Senior Member

I never thought of that with the tail.... It would solve so many problems!! My horses are both really shiny naturally so I honestly just warm up a minuscule amount of coconut oil and rub it over the hind quarters, shoulder, neck, and upper legs with a rag. Adds a little extra sheen and is good moisturizer for their coat!

5. StoneCreek

StoneCreek Senior Member+

Lots of grooming and a good idea is the best trick! In the spring and during the show season I would do a good grooming twice a day. Lots of currying! The healthier the coat the better :)

When I was showing I would NEVER use show sheen. It attracted dirt and it dried out the hair which I didn't like. Then it would also make the horse slick so it would make tack slide around which isn't safe or good for the horse.

I always had horses in the ring that looked well put together for the show ring. My appy in the photos didn't "SHINE" as much but it was also a super cloudy day, in the sun she did lol!

Attached Files:

6. fennecfox

fennecfox Senior Member

It won't let me edit my first post, but here's our shine with a bath a few days prior, clean brushes, and a really good diet.

[​IMG]

This was June 2014. I couldn't tell you the last time I used any kind of spray or oil on his coat.

7. Ayedeas

Ayedeas Senior Member

Thank you! To clarify (to everyone) I do mean occasionally. I do know it starts with the diet (any suggestions there are helpful, too!) and realise I did make it sound like I wanted to use it all the time every day - I don't. My apologies, It's my bad for wording it badly!

Thank you everyone so far for the suggestions! Doesn't apple cider vinegar also deter insects??

8. santanna

santanna Registered

1/4 cup baby oil
    1/4 cup hair conditioner
    3tsp white vingar
    1/4 cup water:horseon2:.....you could also take some flax seed( about a half a cup) and blend it in the blender with 1 cup water and addit in (just make sure it is really thin

9. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Just to add, we use Show Sheen at horse shows. Spray it on a damp coat, brush and/or rub with a dry cloth. As far as we can tell, no drying or dirt attraction that we can see. In fact, I believe it help keep the dust and dirt more easily removed.

Just don’t spray where the saddle goes, or you may end up in the dirt.

On the tail, we use Cowboy Magic.

Does anyone have a list of actual ingredients in Pepsi? I did a quick search and it was a no go. Will search more later. I know it contains oil, cuz it does attract dust.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  10. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

It’s supposed to be Pepi but spell check changed it to Pepsi, lol. Tho there was a time I did spill my Pepsi on a horse.