Holy moly!!!! Saddle comes completely off horse during barrel run.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by endurgirl, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

This is one reason I'm going to get another set of straps for my breast collar. My dees for the breast collar are good and solid, but I want to attach the breast collar to those and my cinch dees, just in case.
    I love the look of the breast collars that go around the shoulders of the saddle, but it's cheaper just to get another set of straps.

Arem and manesntails like this.
  2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

It wouldn’t keep the saddle completely on, but my hope would be, in that sort of situation, that it would at least change/influence the direction of the fall enough that I wouldn’t end up directly behind my horse’s butt like the OP rider.

Hopefully. :p

3. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

I always ride with both a breast collar and a rear cinch. My breast collar, a pulling collar style, is attached through the gullet and around the swells/pommel. There is a strap between the legs that attached to the front cinch. I also use a crupper.
    The rear cinch is used to keep the saddle from sliding forward in steep terrain if it is snugged up behind the swell of the belly.
    The breast collar and rear cinch are necessary equipment to keep my kitchen table of a mule comfortable and the saddle where it belongs!
    I use this equipment every time I ride and on every animal I ride, it is a permanent part of my saddle. Every animal I ride gets the crupper too, it is attached to my saddle. Every animal we train is used to all of that equipment from the very first saddle.
    A well made breast collar that is attached correctly and adjusted correctly, most folks have them too loose just like most rear cinches, would have helped tremendously in keeping the saddle in the OP in place, even if the cinch broke.

Arem, Mirage and manesntails like this.
  4. sherian

sherian Senior Member

use d savers (loop over the stirrup bar) for my breastplate instead of the wimpy little d rings on the english saddles - probably a better chance to keep you in place if the girth broke but still would be a situation brown

WesternRider22 likes this.
  5. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

@equinitis Do you think that equipment setup would hamper a barrel horse in any way? I know a lot of people that compete keep the breast collar a little loser with the thought that the horse really moves and not wanting to restrict that. My coach told us not to run with a breast collar unless we were running with a tie down and needed the breast collar to be sure the horse didn't get over the tie down. She also discouraged tie downs in 99/100 scenarios. Anyway, do you think your setup would be in any way hindering to a full tilt gallop?

I'm not considering adopting it or suggesting it would, just pure curiosity :) I can't imagine a horse running barrels wearing a crupper.

kodemiester and WesternRider22 like this.
  6. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

@ChestersMomma If none of this set up hampers my animals, horse or mules, chasing wild cattle, climbing and coming down steep mountain trails, jumping logs and ditches, etc. it will not hamper an animal running full tilt boogie around some barrels.

A crupper only engages if the saddle tries to move forward. I don't know why a barrel horse would need a crupper but you will see them on mules running barrels all of the time because a crupper is just standard equipment for most mules. Crupper or britchen.
    A pulling style breast collar does not interfere with shoulder movement and that is why I like them better than any other design. My animals are able to drink from a stream, facing downhill even, with the breast collar on. No restriction to putting their noses below their front feet and no restriction on breathing or swallowing with their noses that low. Same thing with climbing. No restriction to them putting their front feet above their noses when climbing/jumping and certainly no restriction to breathing or swallowing when climbing. That would not end well!
    A rear cinch doesn't hamper anything unless it is loose enough to let the animal hang a hoof in. I see them like that all of the time. Boogles the mind really since it serves no purpose if it is not touching the animal. A snug rear cinch, tight even, behind the swell of the belly is essential with a mutton withered animal in the mountains or when roping. A lot of mule riders tighten the rear cinch just as snug, if not even more snug, than the front cinch. Nice, wide rear cinches.

WesternRider22 likes this.
  7. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

Gotcha! The rear cinch and crupper are just things I've never used. I only use a breast collar for aesthetics as there are few (no) mountains in Ohio and even what we call hills you might call bumps ;) Thank you for the explanation! I agree that this rider might've indeed benefited from your setup.

8. WesternRider22

WesternRider22 Full Member

I Can't Even Think Of How Painful This Must Have Been!

manesntails likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

What's a pull style breast collar?

10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Whatzamatta?
    Your Google down with a virus? o_O