Holiday Horse Treats!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Hackatit, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Hackatit

Hackatit Full Member

My mare is a picky-or should I say unusual-eater: no peppermints, nothing sweet, likits aren't her thing, will actually stop eating when full, supplements and dewormer are the tastiest things, etc.

BUT I finally found a real horse treat recipe that she likes!! And it's great for the holiday season.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a Christmas-themed (or whatever you have) cookie pan with non-stick spray. Combine plain oatmeal/oats, honey, and whole-wheat flour into a bowl. There is no set amount on how much you should add, but the end result should be a doughy substance (so start small and work your way up). If the mix is too dry, add a little milk and keep stirring. Add in chopped/shredded carrots and apples as you please. Spoon into cookie pan and bake in oven for 15-20 minutes (until cookies are nearing a golden brown). Take out, maybe stick a peppermint on them, and let cool.

These treats are so easy to make as you don't need any molasses or sweet feed! What are your favorite holiday horse treats?