High heel equals founder?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by ~tiffy~, Jan 11, 2019.

1. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

I wish I had some. But sadly I don’t. I can possibly get some Sunday....

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Can't tell anything from most of those pics.

In 2013-2014 shots the heel looks a little better in the 2014 shots.

Horses's heels are not 'nonexistent.' The heels however are not correct. They are 'run under' a bit. And either the horse went too long between farrier appointments, or the farrier isn't trimming adequately. Would your horse grow a better heel with a different farrier? Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes when the heels run under like that you cannot then fix it. The foot just continues to grow that way. And sometimes it can be corrected.

A vet needs to look at the horse's hind legs.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Arem likes this.
  4. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

I’m sorry, but this is the best I can get. I don’t live close to this barn. If the pics aren’t great, can you tell me if there’s any truth in what the Farrier sent me via txt screenshots?
    Thanks

5. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I need to see the other views, but everything is run forward and too tall and too long.

Arem, Dream27 and ~tiffy~ like this.
  6. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Now these hooves did get laminitis a year later. Tons of heel on this one.

t feet.jpg

~tiffy~ likes this.
  7. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Oh my! Now that’s excessive! I’m just talking not underrun heels.

8. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

Henry has been getting farrier work done to promote a shorter toe and longer heel. He has a bar shoe on his right front with 2 degree wedges. He has been wearing these for 6 months and after his next appointment he will be going back for more xrays to assess the negative Palmer angle we were attempting to fix. My farrier has said Henry hasn’t grown any heel whatsoever in this last 6 months and he hasn’t ever touched it or trimmed it. So I’m curious about the truthfulness about not growing heel if you never trim it.

All this to say I’m sure my reputable vet is encouraging this specific treatment to ensure he founders. (Sarcasm)

Also, my farrier says he likes to see the hoof run in line with the angle of the Pasterns. Henry’s feet look better in this regard, I did some conformation photos before this therapy with his hooves and people commented about his long pasterns. I wonder if they’d say the same thing now that this shoeing has corrected those angles.

Also, the comment about xrays not being needed due to the horse being sound. This is my opinion. Horses are sound until they aren’t anymore. Henry was sound when I bought him but I still opted for baseline feet xrays. At $35 an X-ray it was dumb to decline it. So while he is and was sound, these xrays showed a negative palmar angle that needed corrective shoeing in order to *keep* him sound and comfortable long term. Just something to consider.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  9. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Hmmm.....I don't mind having heel as a good solid base on a foot....but those heels are slung forward, and that's never a good thing.

~tiffy~ likes this.
  10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Only read the OP. Founder is damage to the laminae from inflammation. High heels do not cause founder. They tip the hoof forward if they are proportionally higher than the toe, that doesn't cause founder.

~tiffy~ likes this.