1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured High Brow Cat's clone to stand in 2017!!

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by endurgirl, Sep 30, 2016.

1. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

2. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

This is super interesting. It's going to be really interesting to see how his foals do.

3. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I imagine his book will be full his first year!

4. xXScribbleXx

xXScribbleXx Senior Member

I really don't know how I feel about this...I mean we tell people on this forum all the time about breeding for grade/unregisterable horses...and yet here is living proof of the exact opposite. I doubt anyone planning a breeding with this handsome fella would be considered your typical unregistered breeder/BYB. I am always amazed at what science can do. But I do believe a champion is a champion and shouldn't be cloned. Let highbrow cat be the one and only and live on through his get.

I would be interested to see how copy cat's get do in the future.

5. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Well he is a cutting horse and the NCHA doesn't require horses to be registered.

foxtrot likes this.
  6. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I don't think the typical BYB has $4000 to drop on breeding to him. They are just fine with using the stud down the street.
    Has anyone heard if they only accept approved mares, or anything goes?

7. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

Even though NCHA doesn't require horses to be registered, what's going to happen those grade horses who have no cow and can't cut?

QuarterHorseMomma and LoveTrail like this.
  8. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I would assume down the pipeline to open shows that don't require registration. AQHA is not the only place to show for quality quarter horses.

Hopefully the breeders are picky about the mares they service so they only produce quality even if it can't cut.

mooselady and ChestersMomma like this.
  9. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

Still not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand it's not like he's some grade mutt full of unknowns. But he's still not HBC.

There are so many great HBC sons out there, I would chose to breed to them before ever thinking of the clone. Plus you can't register the offspring. (Which I think is good) and I personally plan to only breed registered stock.

It's definitely interesting for sure. I would love to see him perform himself. Be interesting to see what his offspring do

frisco17, kodemiester, Arem and 4 others like this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I'm under the belief that genetically he's 100% the same as HBC. I don't know why they're not allowed to register, this is the future and it makes sense to me.

Lilah likes this.