Hicaliber rescue...smells like a scam

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by BluemoonOKy, Dec 13, 2017.

1. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

HiCaliber Horse Rescue in Valley Center to close amid controversy

"Michelle Cochran, owner of HiCaliber Horse Rescue, posted on Facebook Saturday she has decided to cease rescuing horses and will be adopting out the more than 100 animals still on her ranch."

"Much of the criticism of the horse rescue focused either on Cochran’s controversial euthanasia techniques or her fundraising, which some said smelled of fraud.

Some critics said she ended far too many horses’ lives with a bullet to the head. Cochran defended the euthanasia saying that many of the horses she would bring to the ranch were too hurt or sick to be saved and that ending their lives quickly was in itself a form of rescue. She walked the San Diego Union-Tribune through the process recently.

In a lengthy Facebook post Saturday Cochran said the “haters” had “won.”

Horse rescue owner defends euthanasia methods

Funny how people who can't demonstrate that they are operating honestly and aren't hiding funds always call their critics 'haters'.

Personally, I don't have an issue with a properly-placed bullet ending a horse's life but you still have to dispose of the body in a way that doesn't cause bad things to happen on your property, or affect others in your community. It's not as simple as letting them pile up in a pit, or whatever she was doing. I do have issues with all the other financial shenanigans and the way she misrepresented the timeline for horses who show up, not making it clear how many were taken in during the course of the year, how many found new homes, how many were destroyed, whether or not they were regularly seen by a vet, etc.

I have this feeling that ISPBM's issues coming to light increase the scrutiny of other sketchy rescues.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  3. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

eating horse organs? what is wrong with her?

4. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Well, I've eaten mountain oysters (beef), whistlepig stew (groundhog), fish cheeks and eyes, pate, chicken and beef liver, and one of my favorite things is grilled beef tongue with sharp cheddar cheese and onions.

I'm going to hazard a guess that when she was (illegally [?] - certainly UNWISELY) performing castrations she was doing 'standing' castrations, so there was no substance that was going to possibly cause her harm. Unless the colt wasn't restrained properly and she got kicked. Preferably in the head. She sounds like a rotten person and I think she's spiteful and likes to shock people just because she can. Who trained her? What happened to the animal if something went sideways? Was she using good technique?

If she weren't rubbing people's noses in it and people had some assurance the animals weren't suffering in some manner, or being treated in a callous fashion, I doubt it would get people so upset.

If she was anesthetizing them, who dispensed the drugs? Not all of them are tracked by the DEA but that doesn't mean you don't have to be careful and that anyone can get their hands on them.

For example - Accidental human poisoning with a veterinary tranquilliser
    And let's not forget the fact that ketamine (schedule III) is often used in conjunction with xylazine.

I mean, most of us have seen horses castrated and probably assisted at more than one, but there are a lot of little details and no animal's anatomy ever seems to match the drawings in the book.

Equine Castration Basics

Larkspade likes this.
  5. Puddincup

Puddincup Senior Member

Wait a second...she posted videos of frying up horse testicles and eating them? I can only imagine the backlash she's receiving.

Sounds like a weirdo looking for her 15 minutes.

Now I'm a pretty picky eater and wouldn't touch cow tongue or anything but testicles? C'mon. Too far unless you don't have anything else.

Thing is, she obviously wants to be noticed for it or she could have kept it private and no one would be the wiser.

6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Huh? I just scanned those, say wat?

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Exotic news. Oh boy..

8. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

I don't know when she did that but I bet she has done it every so often, in response to a rightful public pounding about her lying, what the **** was really happening to horses and when, etc. HiCaliber sounds like the PETA 'shelter' before people started checking out VDOCs for themselves and asking why the **** there were no transfers to or from PETA's shelter to other counties shelters, why the kill rate was over 90%, no animals publicly available for adoption, people who took their pet expecting them to at least have a few days to find a home and in at least one instance coming back less than 3 hours later to retrieve their pet and it was already dead, taking dogs from the front porch of a home (they were FILMED doing that) and generally making it clear that the Virginia legislature was remiss in not tightening up their definition of 'animal shelter' YEARS prior.

I digress. PETA p*sses me off. Ditto for animal rights activists (vs. animal welfare).

This woman may have started out doing it right, or mostly right, but somewhere along the line she let her greed and ego take over. Like Ingrid Newkirk. In fact, I bet she latched onto PETA's business model and *that* may also be what is driving her arrogant responses.

PETA: “We do not advocate ‘right to life’ for animals” – Nathan J Winograd

Yes, I wish there was a program addressing euthanasia and disposal of horses for owners who have hit hard times and are stuck, but what HiCaliber was doing went too far.

In my state there is at least one small business where they will compost your horse rather than shove them in a landfill or render them. Costs the same but it feels less awful to me than rendering. Which is silly. Dead is dead - but I prefer it. More counties are realizing that the issue of using landfills to deal with deer carcasses is a growing problem so they are more receptive to composting. Of course they don't just toss them in a ditch somewhere and pretend that is the same thing.

Edit: Well, they figured out how to circumvent the legislation, apparently. This was posted in 2018

PETA Donations & Taxpayer Funds Used to Kill Kittens – Nathan J Winograd

Sound familiar?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  9. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

CoffeBean before just spouting off random information you might want to research beyond the HC attack blogs. They may not be my favorite but I’ve seen none of what your saying. The people who have been attacking them online have been reporting them to the AC for years and nothing has come for all the investigations. The handful of interactions I’ve had with HC I’ve not seen anything that was cause for concern.

For reference HC literally did have a program to help fund euthanasia for owners in a tight spot. Yes they also did a fair amount of compassionate pulls from the auctions/abuse situations. But they also have a very high adoption rate and I’ve seen it based on the sheer number of horses I’ve personally known who were adopted through them. If you want to get a feel for their practices, they are massive over sharers on social media and constantly are posting videos and live feeds of the going ons at their place including many many videos of vet performed castrations and other vet procedures. They are a loud, brash and more pragmatic bunch but from what I’ve seen there was more good than bad going on there. I think it’s sad to see the real life consequences that the over the top drama online has caused, much of it created by people who have no real life experience with HC. In the long run it is only hurting the horses.

Like I said I’m not one of their big supporters and don’t agree with all their choices but from what I had seen they were ultimately helping horses in an area that needed it. My guess is that their closing is going to leave a big void.

10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Listen... not everyone uses ground work and "natural horsemanship" methods. Some ppl still break horses the old fashioned cowboy way. There are lots of ways to get something done. Just b/c you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong.

Would I use the old fashioned cowboy way? Nope. I don't want bucked off, but some people still break horses this way. I don't look down on them for it. I just disagree with it.

People eat mountain oysters all the time (beef testicles). Also, it is 100% legal to process your own horse meat for consumption. I have eaten horse and it's quite good. I also eat beef tongue, beef heart, chicken& turkey heart, gizzards and liver. There's nothing wrong with using the whole animal and if someone chooses to eat horse, that't their own decision. I go to Canada so I can eat it.