Hicaliber rescue...smells like a scam

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by BluemoonOKy, Dec 13, 2017.

1. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

So, after following the rabbit hole, I found some information on this "rescue" where they're liberally and routinely shooting horses in the head. December | 2017 | Shedrow Confessions
    Plenty more info on shedrow confessions...And, lots on the interwebz about this shady "rescue". Plenty of videos of idiocy.
    HiCaliber Horse Rescue - In Their Own Words
    @CoffeeBean
    HiCaliber... Their Final Days
    HiCaliber Horse Rescue Fraud

PSA...As always, please make sure you thoroughly vet any and all "rescues" before deciding to give them money or items. It is best to actually see their financial reports and to visit their location prior to any assistance.

manesntails likes this.
  2. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Well known that they are nuts on the HH FB groups. And I heard they scammed out a week of free board and feed with the fire going on in Cali, but they were not in any danger at all, so took resources away from those in need.

3. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

I should start off with saying I'm not one of HiCaliber's big supporters or someone who generally gets involved in these dramas. That being said, I would say the people who run HiCaliber are definitely rough around the edges and have a tendency to rub some people the wrong way. But I've been out to their place and found them to be just what they claimed to be. I don't agree with how they do somethings but overall they do seem to be helping a lot of horses.

And as far as your PSA about researching rescues before you donate, I wholeheartedly agree. For your reference with a quick google I found HiCaliber's financial forms listed on their website: http://www.hicaliber.org/donate (scroll down to the bottom of the link).

I saw people saying the fire was anywhere from 25-250 miles from them while HiCaliber said it was approx 2 miles away. In reality I believe the closest it got was approx 4 miles away. But with the way the winds were whipping around and the fact they had over 100 horses to move, I think they made a good call. If the winds had changed they would've been in big trouble. Having personally dealt with CA fires and the very high unpredictable winds, I would've made the same decision in their shoes. Better to get out while you can than wait until it's too late.

4. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Here's my deal. If you are going to rescue an animal, and I have several times, you need to be able to afford it. Even if you get donations etc, if that were to dry up, you still need to be able to feed everything you have on your own dime. Rescues don't seem to get that. They want to charge outrageous adoption fees to offset the cost of other animals but nobody's going to pay 1000$ for a non-registered horse that is "green broke" or something like that. Dogs are far worse. Cross bred dogs that have several hundred dollar adoption fees. Those rescues want to claim that that is cheaper than the vet care needed, and it's not unless you're having the animal vetted at 3 in the morning at an emergency animal hospital. They try to charge more than market value and then have a tantrum when the horses aren't adopted, get more that need care and the cycle continues. This is why most rescues don't work. Doing a good thing does not excuse you from financial responsibility. This is why they get into trouble. Unless there is money, or a foster for the animal, don't take it. The place down the street from me that was seized by AC did exactly that. Took too many with no financial ability to provide.
    Just my .02.

5. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Pretty fishy.....as so many "rescues" are. I went to their FB page, and the dark haired woman...one of the owners, looks like she's spending money on Botox and getting her lips done, instead of being a legit rescue. I mean....that woman has had some work done!

6. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Oh, jfc. Here is the "trainer"

7. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Good Lord. Ran on to YouTube and wth are they doing around horses? Loco..

8. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

What an idiot. I'm glad he ate some dirt.

Squirt!! likes this.
  9. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Cuz that's the video you show, yourself doing something stupid. SMH.
    I know another "trainer" that worked for a rescue. He was about that stupid accept he was too old and fat to ride so he just posts pics of the horses on the ground and describes his ride.....uh huh.

10. secuono

secuono Senior Member