"HE'S LOVELY! NOTQUITEWHATWE'RELOOKINGFORBYE!!" (diplomacy when looking at horses for sale)

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by slc, Oct 11, 2018.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

What do you do and say when the horse is, shall we say, not exactly as advertised, not suitable for the intended purpose? 3 legged lame? Rears and dumps seller, won't leave barn, etc?

Not looking for advice - just might be fun to trade stories about some of the crazy or funny situations you've been in.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Went with a friend to look for a horse for her last summer she has had horses a while, but needed something quiet and sensible. Drove about 2 hours each way. owner gets horse out and rides her a bit, goes okay. So, I get one. couldn't even get it to go forward! asked nicely, intensified cue a little bit, a bit more and still nothing. horse SERIOUSLY needed crack across the butt, but it didn't feel like that would be a wise move unless I wanted to be in the dirt. Got off, handed the horse back to the owner and did the good old "not the horse for her" and we left.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I almost always ride them if they're not lame because, most of the time, they aren't going to do with me what they do with the rider.

I've gotten quite a few really good horses that way: fed up horse with slap and jerk rider rides fine when ridden correctly.

I've told before about the one laying there dead when I pulled into the drive.

4. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Same. I'm currently riding a horse that everyone has passed up because she's fairly green. She gives problems to most of them, but she has given me 110% every time I've thrown a leg over her. I'm not a pretty rider but I'm fair and I'm effective. I think riders don't have problem horses, I think the horses have problem people. You can find a lot of really good horses.

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Yep, that's why, if you can't see what a rider is doing to a horse by the way they're riding it, you need to have a trainer go find you a horse.

It's pretty easy to see a horse reacting to how they're being ridden.

lucky_pine and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

Had a woman try to give me a horse as payment for feeding hers while she was on holiday.
    She knew I was already stretched taking care of Nobby but seemed to think I needed a horse who HAD to be shod, needed a cover (Nobbys owner provided her covers) and special grain which would've been hard to get for me.
    I refused and she tried to give it to a friend despite the kid and her family being on a tighter budget.
    Oh and it wasn't her horse, it had been more or less abandoned by its owner.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I think I've already told this story before maybe and it's not even that bad really. Thankfully I havent had any bad experiences.

A few years ago my mom and I drove to Ohio to look at a nice horse that I was hoping to buy. I spoke extensively with the seller before making the decision to make the long drive. I wouldnt have driven so far if I didnt think he wasnt exactly what I was looking for. The lady told me he easily flat foot walked, trotted and cantered. She said his canter was just a touch speedy, but would be a quick fix over a few weeks. He was also five gaited which was a plus. So I'm thinking he sounds pretty great and would be easy to maintain at home.

She rides him first and shows me his nice trot and slow gaits him a bit. Then she acts like that's all she wants to show me. So we ask if she can show us his canter. She looks a little flabbergasted and says "...I'll try..." with wide eyes. She proceeds to run him into a very fast, uncontrolled, wild canter and goes around for a lap before stopping and says he needs some work on the canter. Well duh. I got on him anyway even though I knew in my heart I wouldn't be able to fix that canter on my own at home. His trot was lovely, but we walked away. When I told her I unfortunately wouldnt be buying him she acted shocked and said "but I didnt advertise him incorrectly! Hes everything you said you wanted!" ... yeah except for the part where I said I didnt want to send the horse to training and I wanted an easy uncomplicated safe ride.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

I took my friend a GREEN rider about 6 hours one way to go see a draft x mare. Supposed to be calm, gentle, quiet. Green broke, but kid safe.

We got there and the seller had a broken leg. Okay. That should have been the first clue. I saddled this mare up with my own saddle, as the owners POS english and western didn't fit well. She was a bit fidgety, but not horrid. My friend got up and was riding around on this mare. She was VERY green, didn't really have any steering and they toddled off behind the house.

One of the sellers kids came outside and made some comment about the mare bucking the mother off and breaking her leg. If that mother could have shuffled that kid outta there any faster and given her any more of a death stare I think she would have.

I immediately went round to find my friend and calmly got her to dismount and come unsaddle the horse.

We said thanks but no thanks, and wished that you had been more upfront about your accident before having us drive twelve hours.

In hindsight, it was probably saddle pain related, but the mare was 16.3hh and big and green and my big green friend didn't need that headache, or those what-ifs.

What a waste of time. :(

mooselady and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. iloverockies

iloverockies Senior Member

OMG, these stories are something else. I have raised most of my riding horses so don't have any horror stores. It would be awful to travel so far and then the horse not be what they said, what a disappointment. Can't wait to hear more of these.

10. billz

billz Full Member

Ok, this story is a result of my greed and stupidity but I'll tell on myself...'Bout 20 years ago, the price of horses hit rock bottom here and our budget was so tight that it was a regular event for my wife and I to hit the local stock yards and watch what was passing through the sale ring for auction on Saturday nights. Hey, cheap entertainment...

So, after some extended conversation over a few months we decided to that we could pick up another horse for a few hundred dollars that wouldn't cost us much because we already had three horses standing around. Anyway, she picked one our and we bid on a nice smallish grey gelding. Looked very mustang like so she named him "Ford." Got him home to look at in the light of day to discover his "scars" that we actually scars of a physical nature suggesting that he'd been a rodeo horse. :eek2:

Well, I worked with him for about six weeks and was able to ride him and my wife actually was able to get aboard. It was a white knuckle experience for her and since it was supposed to be her horse and she wasn't interested in rodeoing, we decided it would be best to send him back to the sale/auction. Sad but true...

manesntails likes this.