He's a WHAT?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by slc, Jan 13, 2018.

1. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

Got any pictures of the potential wonder pony?

ETA: If not, we would be happy to sufice for some pictures of the sire until you are able to get some of WP....

2. Zimalia

Zimalia Senior Member

What breed is he?

3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

You got me all fired up and no pics of the stud to show for it. :) I'd love to see his sire, I had an idea who he is but am just guessing myself. There's not a lot of great pony stallions in the States IMO.

4. slc

slc Senior Member

Sorry, no pics, I'm not going to risk that.

5. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Well, keep us updated!

6. slc

slc Senior Member

Owner is really wanting it to stay a stallion.

I can't really guarantee he'd stay a stallion. If he's really being awful here and driving my mare nuts and putting the whole place into a pandemonium I'd geld him, even if I had an interest in keeping him 'entire' and marketing him for breeding.

And honestly I don't think the gal will sell him to anyone but someone who's absolutely going to not geld him.

My one friend is like 'doitdoitdoitdoit!' The other friend said, 'NO WAY', don't even think about it. You need money up front to market a stallion. Three horse folk, 3 opinions, lol.

Because he's a rare breed, she's also sure there would be only a few years of activity/interest in breeding him and that'd be it. 'You run out of a market.'

7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Would you market him yourself? Or could you stand him at a breeding station? Avalon Equine is standing their own successful sport pony stud and there are a few breeding stations for Connemaras in the US as well.
    I mean, unless you live somewhere with a good market for sport ponies OR unless you want to start breeding them yourself it wouldn´t make much sense in trying to market him yourself...

8. slc

slc Senior Member

Not a sport pony breed. Wouldn't be using a breeding station, none close enough to keep a weekly eye on him. It's making less and less sense as time goes on, LOL.

ginster likes this.
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Oh please.....

Arem likes this.
  10. sherian

sherian Senior Member

I have a stallion, he is not a problem to have around, though sometimes people are - I keep him at home, a good barn with a program would not a problem, would not keep him at the average "do whatever you want" boarding stable with no program
    standing a stallion of a rare breed is a labour of love for the breed, and more often a money pit than a profitable business.

ginster, manesntails and slc like this.