Hernia's in horses??

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by melissa2027, Mar 4, 2007.

1. melissa2027

melissa2027 Senior Member

I think my Welsh mare has a small hernia on her belly.
    I will take some pics and post them.
    I am unsure about hernias and what I can do about it.
    Have any of you had a horse with a hernia?
    and besides sugery what else can be done?
    Thanks....:no:

2. Lexy

Lexy Senior Member+

I have had one foal that had a hernia.

I may be wrong, but other than surgery, I don't think there is anything else to fix it.

My understanding is that the hernia (which is the gut that has fallen through an open hole) happens because for some reason the area did not fully close as it should have. The tissue (muscle) edges are smooth and will not grow together on their own.

When I had my colt's hernia fixed, the vet came here, lay him down on a clean grassy spot, clipped and disinfected the area, cut open the skin to expose the hole, shaved tissue on either side of the hole, sewed it together, sewed the outer skin together... no more hernia. Oh, he also rolled the colt up on his back before he made his first cut. That way the gut falls back into the abdominal cavity.

The whole thing took about 15 mins from the time the colt went down. He charged me $60 for the surgery.

Since you said "mare" I assume it is an older horse. If so, it won't close up on it's own. Sometimes in a foal, the hernia might close up if it is not a really big one. The only concern with that is if the gut gets trapped inside the pouch of skin as it is closing. If it does, could be big trouble if not corrected pronto.

3. freedom32

freedom32 Senior Member+

Freedom had a hernia as a baby, it was a birth defect. It was minor and closed by itself, I never had the surgury done.

4. tbtrainer

tbtrainer Senior Member+

Lexy, I had a foal who had the same surgery to fix a hernia. I would get the vet out to look at it.

5. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

If it's an umbilical hernia and is small (smaller than the point of your finger), you should have no problems. At her age, there's nothing to do to correct it other than surgery. If it's larger, then surgery needs to be done as risks of complications are much higher.

6. Morri

Morri Senior Member+

Agree, unless they plan to breed the mare. Then fixing the hernia before breeding is a must.

7. melissa2027

melissa2027 Senior Member

Pics.

Hi here is a couple of pics of her belly.
    sorry it took so long.
    I'm hoping it's a hematoma not a hernia...
    It is quite hard to touch...
    It's weird how all of a sudden she has a lump there.
    How quick do hernias grow?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

Okay, that's not an umbilical hernia, you're dealing with a whole nother ballgame. Are you sure that its' a hernia and not some type of edema?

9. avasmom

avasmom Senior Member

LOL no that's not a hernia-yes, maybe a hematoma..but definately not a hernia.

10. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member+

It could be a hernia, I won't say that it can't be. But it does look a lot more like a hematoma or edema than a hernia. If you poke around on it is there anywhere that feels like a 'hole' into the abdomen? If there is, then you need vet attention asap.