Henry’s Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by CarlisleChipper, Jan 25, 2019.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

So I may be trialing new saddles fairly soon. I’ve browsed Dover’s online selection and just haven’t been impressed. Not that they don’t have great saddles, it’s just not what I’m looking for. They’re either out of budget or they’re Pessoa. I’m going to try a brand called Thorowgood. They’re made specifically for thoroughbreds and high withered horses. They’re leather, wool flocked, adjustable gullet and billets, and they’re all under $1,000. I can get a pretty even trade and get two new saddles if all goes as planned. I’m sure I will have to spend $200-$300 out of pocket but that is better than going into the thousands. These are the two saddles I’m considering. 17 inch, medium narrow gullets.
    Thorowgood - T8 Dressage with surface mounted block

Thorowgood - T8 Jump

2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I rode in a Thorowgood once when I tried out a horse. It was a really nice saddle!!!

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  3. CarlisleChipper

That’s what I love to hear!

4. CarlisleChipper

Husband gave the go ahead to purchase the two new saddles. I'm going to look at the details surrounding shipping times because I don't want my 10 day trial to be cut short. I would love for them to come in time for the horse show on March 23rd but that might be pressing my luck. Maybe if I order sooner rather than later I can make it!

5. CarlisleChipper

ED875412-0DF8-4A82-A38A-E3D88B498210.jpeg
    Do you think Henry has a medium wither or a high wither? I feel like it’s medium but I’m questioning myself. Definitely not like some shark fins I’ve seen.

6. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

I say medium.

7. CarlisleChipper

I sent the same picture to my trainer that has had her hands on him multiple times to try and help with saddle fit and she said to go with the high wither option. So I did. Actually only the dressage saddle offered the high withered option and the jump saddle didn't have any other option, just the medium. They're ordered! Should ship out Monday I think and get here in 3-6 days just in time for my next Eventing Derby on the 23rd!

I expect Charlotte's hands once I get a saddle that fits me. :wink:

~tiffy~ likes this.
  8. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Exciting!!! Let’s hope they fit!

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  9. CarlisleChipper

[​IMG]

Oh Henry.... I hope my girth fits the jump saddle. Holy cow when I tried that saddle on March 4th with the saddle fitter I went through 5 different girths, the billets were SO SHORT and stiff and my hands were so cold and non-functional.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I have the Kent and masters which is the same tree and I believe the same company as thorowgood. I like the Kent and masters for the price point . I have a cob for my rotund mare and the high wither for my tb gelding. He isn't that hi withered but preferred that tree. I prefer the more open seat of the cob model, but i deal with the deeper seat for my boy. I have had them both adjusted multiple times and they have held up to abuse and regular 5 day s a week work load for several years each. They are also easy to change the plates out as needed,if you have the adjustable ones.

CarlisleChipper and Alsosusieq2 like this.