Henry’s Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by CarlisleChipper, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Henry is beautiful! I love thoroughbreds and he's one of my favorites that I've seen. I'm kind of working on the same thing and it definately is tough to feel it in your hands. You are lucky to have such a beautiful, good minded guy and I hope you have fun XC schooling!

2. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

3. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Jealous of your 5 point. Where did you get it?

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

It happens to everyone, no biggie. I think when you get the ability, and that winning lottery ticket to get a different saddle, you'll feel a thousand times better. Right now, it's just harder. Wish you lived near R&B as she's a fitter that'd set you up right. It's been a trying time with fitters for you I remember.

Huge hugs and have fun-!!

CarlisleChipper likes this.
  5. CarlisleChipper

It’s a henri de rivel 5 point! The cheap one on Dover.

I lost confidence on XC today. He was absolutely not listening to any of my half halts and was just blowing through my aids completely uncontrollable. I left the group to go school with my main trainer that was working with a younger student and she talked me through each effort and we were able to go through some jumps. We are not at a point yet where you can tell us “okay go jump that jump” without saying anything else and hope we don’t die. We can’t collect ourselves up to do several XC fences in a row so close together up and down hills. It felt like a nightmare until I went back to my trainer. We ended on a good note but I was super frustrated. Getting run off with is my number 1 fear in riding. And of course everyone else is on pokey school ponies that you have to leg on. No big deal for them but Henry and I couldn’t do it. Ugh.

ETA when I worked with my trainer she said I was doing everything correct to slow him down but he was ignoring me so she suggested he needs a different bit on xc. He is currently in a single jointed D ring snaffle and I’ll be working with her to see what he can go up to. I had to do like 10 one rein stops today. We haven’t had run aways this bad yet.

6. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Remember that how your tack fits can have a HUGE effect on how your horse feels your aids and how the horse is able to respond or chooses to respond. So while you may very well be doing everything within your power correctly, there may be something else at play here & I wouldn't be jumping up the bit ladder just quite yet. I will say nothing more than that, as you already know what's wrong with your jump saddle.

I'm sorry you didn't have an excellent time schooling, but it has taught you exactly what you've said above. It's a good to have these realizations. No learning comes from things going perfectly according to your plan. Learning only comes when things do not go according to plan......remember that & perhaps it may help with the frustration?

7. CarlisleChipper

Yes ma’am. I’ll be going to the Dover tent in Florida to try saddles as well as the Dover store in Austin to try saddles late April.

8. CarlisleChipper

Also I strongly value not bitting up a horse instead of addressing holes in training. I feel like getting better saddles will help as well as sticking with my trainer that gives me one on one help instead of a group lesson without anything being one on one. We both got ourselves together after going back to my trainer. He didn’t run away with me at the show in February so I know we have the capability to go without running. It was dumb of me to think that a trainer that doesn’t know us and had us do stuff that was above our level no matter how tiny the jumps were, would work out. I’m glad I had the wherewithal to recognize that in the midst of my frustration and leave to go back to my main trainer. So it wasn’t a complete loss. Going in anything other than a snaffle will not be a easy choice for me. If I do go up it will be with the mindset of a training tool to be put back when the lesson is over and understood as we gain back our confidence. We both lost confidence when I fell off the other day. I don’t believe in the reliance on gadgets or heavy bits.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. CarlisleChipper

7906F9CF-33BF-47B9-A83A-53F3ECFC3238.jpeg 0876861D-305F-464F-84D5-81D0D8F7E102.jpeg 5E842B45-2FCF-46D8-9BB2-0B57F821DCB1.jpeg 923AFF6A-0F5E-434F-AA31-21F44E4EC24F.jpeg A lovely parent took some pictures for me of a few jumps in the beginning. Can you palpate how strong he is in these photos good grief. I laughed so hard.

Alsosusieq2 and Pony123 like this.
  10. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

No worries. I got my arse handed to me in a lesson this week, because my lef5 knee and side and hand doesn't work right, but you know what...we are all working on something. Its all good. Even Olympic riders take lots of lessons. I always want to be learning.