Henry’s Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by CarlisleChipper, Jan 25, 2019.

1. CarlisleChipper

CarlisleChipper Senior Member+

Beautiful day today! My right arm and shoulder are a bit sore so of course I choose today to full body clip Henry. <3
    Cross country schooling tomorrow! It was going to be Pine Hill but it's too wet, so coyote springs it is!

[​IMG]

Pony123 likes this.
  2. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

I would rather suggest you take more dressage lessons. As soon as you ride with long stirrups, your hands are no longer independent and your seat is wobbly, wich is reflected in the unhappiness of the horse with the contact you are offering him. There is the biggest need for improvement right now. And, until you have fixed this problem, lengthen the reins so your involuntary hand movements don't bother his mouth so much.

3. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I agree with this. Every time his head goes up and he's in front of the bit, i would lengthen the rein and get the hind to step into it. However in order to do that you will have to regulate your center of balance, core and back better. Your left hand is extremely tight, so the left rein is less forgiving. When you post, everytime you go up you're pushing too much into the stirrups which is moving your lower leg around and forward which is tipping you. And so you are balancing off your hands. You are not working off the outside rein. Your mantra should be..."get off the inside rein, get off the inside rein, get off the inside rein". And I would take dressage lessons, or just good riding lessons with any one who is a biomechanics freak. Or trailer on down to Kentucky...I also give yoga lessons on Skype. If you're interested pm me and I can give you references. Good luck. You can do this.

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

While I agree with the ladies above - this dressage saddle puts you in a chair seat right off the bat. So stba disadvantage right from the start. If you cannot sit up on your own accord & keep your feet under you, thenntjeres no possible way to have a steady rein connection.

I’m pretty confident it’ll be an insanely long road to solve until you get yourself into s saddlebthat facilitates this.

5. CarlisleChipper

This is not in the horse training thread and nowhere did I ask for criticism. I hardly EVER ride when I’m not in a lesson. So for you to say I need dressage lessons when I take several is out of line. I am working with what my trainer is telling me to work on. Just because you cannot see our improvements doesn’t mean they aren’t there.
    You try riding Henry without rein contact and we’ll see how well you go. :rolleyez:

RnB. I asked the saddle fitter about this because I feel the same way and she said it’s fine. But of course she was highly questionable unfortunately. However we did work on this last week, my stirrups were lengthened and I rode without them for a while. Something that is possible now that he is in shape and has a top line. My leg stayed in a better position after doing no stirrups. I’d be willing to bet it’s my conformation and my own fault more than the saddles. Especially since In that lesson we saw improvement.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  6. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Oh, come on. Don't be so defensive. I break and train horses that would make Henry look like a little school girl. Maybe re-read what was said. No one said don't use rein contact. What was said is you don't have good contact because contact doesn't come from your hands, but your seat. Anyways, free advice. Take it or leave it. No one said you have not made progress. Or anything of the sort.

~tiffy~ likes this.
  7. CarlisleChipper

Just stop already. Do you feel better about yourself yet? Gotta comment on my horse too? JFC

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Actually, she's complimenting your horse for being easy going and good tempered.

Suggestion? Start this in the blog section if you really don't want comments or feedback. Horse chat and training threads are going to get comments, it just does. Blogs are fairly well just posting your history.

~tiffy~ likes this.
  9. CarlisleChipper

I don’t generally mind comments but when someone comes on here and tells me to take dressage lessons when I take several a week and have mentioned all over this board that I rarely ride outside of a lesson anymore it just irritates me. I criticize myself 10x harder than any of you and I pay for lessons. I don’t need to come here when I feel good about a day or a ride just to be reminded how much we suck and I shouldn’t even ride. It’s just down down down never anything encouraging to say and I’ve largely ignored it on this thread for the most part but y’all done touched a nerve with me this morning. God forbid I any sort of confidence in myself before I come here and y’all just snatch it back and put me in my place. Let me just ride my horse inverted because I don’t have Charlottes hands. Because that’s exactly what your advice would lead to even if you think it’s helpful. It’s not. And it’s out of line. So just stop.

10. CarlisleChipper

Ugh you know what. I’m sorry. I’m having a rough morning. I took my anxiety medication. I’m about to go out cross country schooling. Wish us to have a good time.

You’re right in your criticisms and I know it. It’s what we’ve been working on.

ginster and ~tiffy~ like this.