Hena's Training Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by SiouxRider21, Apr 15, 2017.

1. SiouxRider21

SiouxRider21 Senior Member

I'll be documenting Hena's training anyway, so I thought I'd share it here as well.
    Hena is a 4yo grade Palomino Paint mare, most likely QH. I just got her this past Weds. so she still needs to put on some weight and of course muscle up.

Today was her 3rd training session. So far I've been working on refreshing her groundwork and manners, introducing new groundwork, and desensitizing. She got blanketed yesterday for the first time. Today she had a little lesson in not nipping and pinning ears when she gets ticked about being asked to do something, but I think she may be coming into heat too.

She let me pick up all four of her feet and hold them for a bit, and I was able to pick out her fronts. Hoof picking will now be one of the first things done before a session that way she gets used to it, and the farrier can come out sooner! lol

We finished the session today with a little bit of handgrazing.
    Here are some pictures! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Manca, Macimage and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Pretty mare-!! For some reason I can see these photos just fine where lately they won't load or even register that a photo's there. Keep up the good work.;)

SiouxRider21 likes this.
  3. SiouxRider21

Thank you! That is odd about the photos!

4. Alsosusieq2

Ahh, I'm on slow speed and a new phone. I personally don't like it. I'm not used to it's glitches or know how to work around them. It's kind of frustrating and confusing. ;)

5. SiouxRider21

Hena got a couple of days off this past week cause I had a stomach virus.
    We've still been working on ground work, and will be doing lots of desensitizing this week, and figuring out how to lunge! Introduced her to the plastic bag today and she did pretty well so we'll work more on that of course.
    Here are a couple pictures from today. Don't mind how dirty she is. Hopefully she'll get a bath soon!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Alsosusieq2

Very cute-!! ;)

7. SiouxRider21

Hena did very good today! Worked on sending her the direction I point, yielding shoulders, got some trot laps in lunging each direction and smooth direction changes when asked without being mean about it. I bought a huge purple ball at Wally World and bounced it around and rolled it down her neck and onto her back. She wasn't as afraid of it as I thought she was. She is more afraid of people jumping/skipping/hopping near her, so I did a few minutes of that on each side until I was too tired to keep at it. :LOL::rolleyes:

Also did a little bit of tying practice. I don't tie the rope solid just yet because I tried once before and she pulled back, so just taking it slow and learning to give to the pressure and stand still and not pull back. She was great.

Hoping to have her saddled by the end of this week and her first ride before the end of the month!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sam C. likes this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

That first picture is hysterical.

"You know, I think there's something wrong with that lady. She keeps bouncing a purple ball on my neck".

SiouxRider21 and Sam C. like this.
  9. Manca

Manca Senior Member

She's so pretty! I love how expressive her looks are :D

SiouxRider21 likes this.
  10. SiouxRider21

She has definitely got some wild expressions! Needs to get her poker face down. lol