Help with a crazy veteran horse!

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Annie1982, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Annie1982

Annie1982 Registered

Hi, I am in desperate need of some help. I've had my horse about 5 years and he is around 22. He has always been a complete plod, you wear your legs out on him. His manners were lacking when I met him but he learnt quickly and he has always been a gent. We had to move yards 2 months ago because I have moved house and he has gone from living with 3 mares down to just one who he is infatuated with. The problem is I got kicked by the new horse and broke my knee on day one so I haven't been able to spend much time with him.(he is usually the sort you can leave six months and get back in for the same ride). My husband has been checking him over everyday, but this week I've been trying to do more and it's like I have a completely different horse. He gets jealous in the field and is constantly chasing his partner away from me ( she is very friendly and then starts bouncing and kicking out around him). When I try to bring him in to groom or put rugs on he gets on his toes and twice now he has reared and bolted trying to get back in the field with her. I can't even turn him out by walking into the field with him as she comes over and He just explodes. Getting kicked on day one has really knocked my confidence and I just don't know how to handle this behaviour as I've never seen him like this. The other horse is stabled overnight and is ridden out without him and he is totally fine with that, he just seems to have an issue leaving her, but also won't let me do anything with him if she is around. Any advice would be gratefully received x

2. PaintedRocket

PaintedRocket Senior Moderator Staff Member

Honestly, I would get an experienced and reputable trainer to help you out with this. Surely you could do more if your knee wasn't healing, but it could potentially be dangerous and harder for you. I would hate for you to re-injure your knee. Especially if your confidence is lacking, he will know and take advantage of that.

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Your problem is that male horses do not know they are gelded and will get attached to mares. This is why we, in the old days, always put mares with mares, geldings, with geldings.

Take him out of there and put him with a gelding, then start taking some lessons on him. The instructor will help you with motivating him to go forward.
    What *I* do with a horse that doesn't respond to leg is, I use split reins, longish ones and when I cue with my leg and get no response, I then take the ends of my reins and swish them back and forth between me and his wither.

This creates the visual field of motion coming up from behind the horse. Horses instinctively go forward when they see motion coming up from behind at a quick pace. They do not realize it's just your reins, so they move forward.

Be sure you ride the motion you want. Do not sit and wait for him to move. Move yourself in the gait you want him to do AS you ask.

4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Sounds like he is extremely buddy sour. To the point of being dangerous... Can you seperate them?

tlwidener likes this.
  5. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

He is bewitched. The mare has cast a spell on him, the only way to break the spell, is for him to be away from her, forever.

billz, tlwidener, JinxedDream and 3 others like this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

:rolleyes: Let me guess...
    Harry Potter fan?

:applaud: .:ROFLMAO:

kodemiester and waresbear like this.
  7. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

A+ comment got a good chuckle from me

8. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

Actually no, only saw the first movie years ago. It is my own original observation. Another of one mine...."mares make geldings do stupid things".

manesntails, JinxedDream and RelaxMax like this.
  9. Annie1982

Annie1982 Registered

Thank you for all your advice, he has always lived out with mares so I was really surprised by his behaviour. I can't seperate them where they are and I was hoping not to have to move him again, would that even really solve the problem now he has started behaving like this?

10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I can't think of anything but separating them and since you can't, you'll have to move if they can't switch him around. I know, a pain. I'm so sorry for the hassle. You ought to check at your next situation before considering a place that doesn't have alternative pasture as this isn't that unusual.

Usually, mares to mares, geldings to geldings. It saves potential headaches. It doesn't always happen, but any boarding situation knows this can happen and should not have a problem working with you.