Help! Will wheatstraw hurt my horse

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by BellaRaine, Jun 17, 2004.

1. BellaRaine

BellaRaine Senior Member

I put wheatstraw in my expecting horses stall tonight for the first time. I did not think she would try to eat it but she is chomping away!! She just finished eating her dinner and should not be hungry but... chomp,chomp,chomp! HELP ME!!!!!!

2. buggywhipp

buggywhipp Senior Member+

I have had and seen other peoples horses eat straw as well. I was always told that no it wouldn't. It never seem to hurt any of my horses. Hope that helps.

3. John

John Senior Member+

If it is not moldy or dusty it should not hurt her .

4. OwnerofWillow

OwnerofWillow Senior Member+

I have seen several horses eat their straw bedding and was always told it was fine as long as it was clean (no mold, dust, etc ) As John said earlier : )

5. BellaRaine

BellaRaine Senior Member

Thanks Guys! I think she will be ok, she isn't stopped up ( if you know what I mean) LOL. I went out to feed her this am and half of the straw was GONE. Along with her reg.hay. Big oh pig.HeeHee

6. SammyDoodle

SammyDoodle Senior Member+

lol - my pony would do the same - so I have bedded him down on rubber matting and a product called "aqua max" - this is a dust free bedding that is very cost effective and environmentally friendly - also no chomping!

7. ejforrest

ejforrest Senior Member+

There are actually three types of hay, but one type, cereal grain hay, is rarely fed to horses as it is not terrribley economical. Cereal grain hay is hay cut from grains such as wheat or barley. While the plant is still green and before the ssed is harvested. It is nutritionally similar to grass hay, and the more grain(seeds) the hay contains, the higher its nutritional value. (If the seed heads are lost in harvesting, only straw remains; it makes good bedding but poor feed)