Help me write a letter to Extreme makeover home- *draft up* post #5

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Carly, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Carly

Carly Senior Member+

So to keep a loooong story somewhat short..

I have written a few drafts of a letter, but I cant seem to get it right. I dont know.. its too long, too much info, too short, not enough! Blah!

Anyways I wanted to write to them about what an amazing person and his crew did for us.

My Dad passed away 3 years ago this April. He had a long drawn out illness over bout 7 years or so for major stuff.
    A couple of years before he passed away (I believe 2004?... have to think about it!) he had to ahve his right leg amputated to just below the knee. A prosthetic was made but his heart was too weak to be able to learn to properly walk with one so he was confined to a wheelchair.
    SO- we had to renovate our house to make it wheelchair accessible.
    We are SUPER lucky as we are staus and live on reserve with great medical etc.
    So they were paying to renovate our house enough so my Dad could live in his home- widen main hallways/doorways, move the laundry room upstairs, install a lift and do a bit in the kitchen.
    They had contractors put in bids and they guy who won started work.
    He messed some stuff up, basicaly got fired and the next bidder got to start.
    It turns out he was a gift. He also ended up being one of my little brothers friends uncles (make sense?)

We STILL dont know how he did it but he wouldnt tell us. He renovated out ENTIRE house. We are talking all new plumbing (ours was bad!) all new wood floors, the basement finsihed nice, the whole top floor wheelchair accessible (kitchen alll new cupboards, sinks, APPLIANCES the whole thing re designed!) the wheelchair lift, with a widened sidewalk/access, a upstairs front porch, our bedrooms downstairs totally finished and re-done, decorated all new furniture/beds.. a living room downstairs for us the bathroom re-done, the upstairs all furnished/decorated..
    They put in all the bars etc to make it safe around the house for Dad- a huge wheelchair shower.. just everything!

I still remeber- we moved into our house on December 23rd... it wasnt 100% finished but mostly was and we all spet together in one room for a few nights as a fmaily- we had a tiny little christmas tree and had a wonderful christmas that year. It was my second last with my Dad.

He made it possible for us to have a happy functioning (when not in and out of hospital..) last couple of years with my Dad. He wanted nothing for his efforts, and wouldnt reveal to us just HOW he managed to get it all done.
    He and his friends/brother along with some others did all of the work on our house themselves.
    We gained a good family friend as well. We dont see him often but when we do, you cant help but just grab him and hug him.
    My Dad always wanted to do SOMETHING for him- to thank him, honor him. He was working on setting up a big dinner with the whole community so they would all know the extent of what he did for us- he was setting up having a famous artist here to do a project fo rhim and his family. But he got sick again so often it fell to the wayside.

Now- our Angel LOVED Extreme Makeover Home Edition. He said he would LOVE to do that for people (you did!) and be on the show.
    I have tried off and on over the years to get a letter out to them to tell them what he did. I dont ahve before pics of our house though.. and our afters- well My Dad would never turn down hsi wheelchair and there are some missing paints spots/gouges in the walls which as bad as it looks we havent had the heart to fill in.. *sigh*

If you made it thtough this all- bless you. My Mind is in a whirl.
    Can you all help me think of how to write a letter to them? or I also thought of a video- liek everyone else sends... hmmn..

What I want- not a reno- but to fullfill HIS dream of being on the show!! To work on a house their building somewhere!

What do you think? I know its been 5 years- and while I really wish I got it done sooner, I am still going to do it!

(Sorry for any typos!)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009

2. Appylvr

Appylvr Senior Member+

That put tears in my eyes... I'm so sorry about your dad. I think it is a wonderful thing you want to do and it sounds like he deserves it. I'll think and see if I come up with anything.

3. Carly

Carly Senior Member+

Thanks Appylvr. Its something I REALLY want to do! My Dad would love to see him get a dream of his filled- after all the good hes done for us- and I'm sure others!

4. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Senior Member+

Sniff. Big hugs to you. How sweet that you want to show your appreciation. Don't worry about the letter being perfect...send it. :)

You definitely have yourself some angels...you are very lucky.

5. Carly

Carly Senior Member+

Dear Ty and Crew,

I am writing to you not for myself but for a wonderful man who was our Angel not so many years ago.
    It has taken me 5 years to write this letter- whether it be the pain of loss, or my mind fogged to those whirlwind years.

I will try to keep it short and not go into allot of details- because there is much too much to name it all.

My Dad became quite ill off and on for 6 or so years starting in 2000. Actually when it really started rolling was his heart attack that year- eerily enough it was September 11th 2000.
    From there as the years went on so much happened I cant sort it out in my mind. He was diagnosed with Diabetes at a young age as well as congestive heart failure and was pretty well told not to expect to live too far into his thirties. Just what everyone wants to hear.
    6 years fo heart attacks, transient strokes, major infections of all sorts (and very slow to heal due to lack of good blood flow from his Diabetes) amputations, ICU admittances, Aspirations,open heart surgery (triple by-pass) where the surgeon said if he had known how oddly small in size my Dads breastbone was- he never would have done the surgery and we would have lost him allot sooner. They just prayed the wire and bone would hold and heal- it did.
    Its all a big mess of hospital and doctors, nurses and crying in my mind. I would go into a bit more detail if I could.

We ended up losing my Dad on April 23rd 2006. The worst day in my life to date. I never did get to say a proper good bye. It happened some what suddenly with how downhill he went, and he was in a comatose state in such a short time. I was 16. I had seen my Dad be in bad situations before- had the doctors tell us not expect him to come out of it. That happened at least 3 times prior so being hopeful I expected him to come out of it- he always came back to us. Then he Didn't. I remember my brother holding me as I cried, in more shock at first than pain.
    I will always remember my older cousin Dwayne telling me he thought we were finally ready. He came back all those times because he felt we weren't prepared enough for him to leave us. And now he felt we would be okay. In some ways I think he was right. With how all the other scenarios played out- and then this.

About 2 years before my Dad passed away- in early 2004 renovations were to start on our house. A few months prior to that my Dad had slowly had piece after piece of his badly infected foot amputated- to try and stop the spread of infection. They finally made the huge decision to amputate part of his leg to stop the infection after he was in so much pain one night he aspirated into his lungs putting him into ICU.. again.
    This is where our R* came in.. the man who gave us a wonderful gift we were able to share for 2 years with my dad- and are still thankful for today.
    We are so lucky to live on reserve and be status Indian. Without the great medical and other coverage I don't know what we would have done- hospital bills, the literally thousands of dollars of medication alone a year.. and the grant to renovate our house to make it wheelchair accessible.
    My Dads heart was too weak to be able to learn to walk with a prosthetic so he was confined to a wheelchair. Our house was old, not very well planned out and was very awkward to try and have a wheelchair in.

The plans were to widen some main hallways/doorways add a wheelchair lift to the front of the house, modify the kitchen a bit and bring the laundry room upstairs. Contractors began bidding and the winner started work. Well he messed some thing up, didn't show and was pulled off the project. The next bidder came in- R*. Little did we know just how wonderful this man was- or what he was going to do for our family.
    To this day we still do not know just HOW he managed to do what he did- He wouldn't reveal that to us, just simply asked we enjoy it.
    He renovated our entire house. Not only did he do what he was contracted to do- but he did more.. much more.
    All of our halls/doorways upstairs were widened, my parents room was made bigger to accommodate- the bathroom was enlarged and a wheelchair shower was put in with all the proper bars- no more worrying about him slipping getting in/out of the bathtub! The kitchen was totally re done with all new cupboards, cabinets and was re-designed so my dad could comfortably cook and prepare food. New appliances that were low enough to reach form a chair.
    Downstairs all of us kids rooms were finished- our basement was still partially un-finished. We got full proper walls, insulation so its not as cold down there in the winter, a small room added off our downstairs back door, a small living room for us kids, a finished bathroom, a kitchen space ready to go.
    All through the house painted, new flooring, trim, and he put all new fixtures in, doors, and even furnished and decorated our house- his wife helped him pick things out he said.

Himself, his brother, his friends and some others did our house all by themselves.
    We moved into our mostly finished house on December 23rd and all slept in the master bedroom- us kids all on the floor- together. We had one of the best Christmas' that year with our few lights and little tree. It was my second last with my Dad.

Today the house is not completely finished- we have to put things down on the stairs, and now thanks to Dad and whipping around the house in his wheelchair refusing to go slow- we have some paint chips and gouges.. doors that have seen better days that we need to fix- but part of me as bad as it looks to others.. cant bring myself to fix it. I painted a few big spots for company coming over this Christmas. While our home is nothing special.. especially not as special as it used to be when we were all together and it was HOME.. but having it functional sure is nice.

I guess I should get down as to why I am writing to you. My Dad wished he could do something nice for R*.. we didn't have much money and so he planned on having a dinner in the community to honor and thank him, his family and friends who all helped out and his Wife and kids for giving up their time with him to work on our house. He was also talking with one fo the famous local artists here and wanting to get something nice done for them to put in their house.. a carving, or a print.. but he got sick again so often it got left to the wayside.

He would have loved to know we could do something for Ron.. even if he couldn't in the time he had left.
    R*, as do we, loves your show. My older brother and I used to talk about it all the time hanging out at night in the house with him as he showed us what they had been up to. He said he always wished he could help people like that (he did!!) and dreamed of being able to work on a house with you guys pitching in and helping out.
    Its a big thing to ask but I was wondering if somehow you could help us fulfill my Dads wish and give R* the opportunity to work on a house on your show.

I wish I had before and after pictures of our house- unfortunately we weren't thinking about taking pictures of the house then.

Not only did we gain a nicer house- we made an amazing friend. We may not see R* all that often- but when we do you can't help but grab him and hug him. I am forever thankful to him for making my Dads time at home his last few years- comfortable and easy to get around. I think it helped him knowing he was going to leave us in a nicer home!

You do amazing work and I love watching you help all the people you do!

Sincerely,
    Carly ******

Appylvr likes this.
  6. Jewl

Jewl Senior Member+

I love that show and your story (tears). Send that letter in! I was watching a show earlier today and had to pause it to get more tissue. Big Hug for you and family. I love to help people when ever I can, in anyway I can.

I hope to help our church do something like this texas style for a church member who is just a sweetheart and losing her eyesite.

7. Carly

Carly Senior Member+

Me too. I just love lending a hand! I will sen dit- i think ill make a short video to send as well.
    I REALLY wish I can get this done for R*!! he truly is an awesome person and deserves it!

8. Dancers Mom

Dancers Mom Senior Member+

Why don't you send a video exlaining what happend and how this angel helped your dad and your family. I think that the families that are on there send videos. I would think that would get to them faster then a letter. You could include before and after of your house, some of your dad and the crew who helped you out.

9. Carly

Carly Senior Member+

Read my last reply :) I want tos end a video as well.. and I dont have befores of the house! :(

10. KIM0331

KIM0331 Registered

this is very ironic. I just sent mine in for my dad. He is paralyZed from the neck down. I'm sorry about your dad. I know this sounds bad but I wish my dad would pass away so he doesn't have to suffer.