Help me pick out a new Euro trailer!

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Baylily, Jun 19, 2014.

?

Which Trailer Would You Buy?

1. Bockmann Master

26.7%
  2. Bockmann Champion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Show Trek

33.3%
  4. Space Trek

13.3%
  5. Eclipse Euro

26.7%
  1. Baylily

Baylily Senior Member

Also, I listed my Brenderup on CL Sunday night, and it sold last night to the first people who came to see it!! :D

1 person likes this.
  2. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Congrats again on the new trailer! Also on sale of the old one.

To show the different market for trailers in different parts of the country, there is a Brenderup for sale near me. It has been for sale since August. Another one popped up in September. It hasn't moved yet. I'm trying to sell my big trailer, and have been checking ads for smaller trailers. I just randomly ran across the Brenderups.

I thought that was interesting.

So, Baylily where will your first horsie trip with the new rig take you?

2 people like this.
  3. Baylily

Baylily Senior Member

I think our area where shows are very close together, trails, national/state parks are all very close, and A LOT of people boarding horses vs. owning their own farm (and thus typically owning one horse) lends itself to small trailer ownership. If I owned several horses, had a larger farm, and had to haul any serious distances, I would probably be considering a different setup.

It's inaugural run will be this Sunday to our Opening Day at the hunt club! I will make sure to take lots of pictures because Sedona will be all braided, clipped and well turned out! She did load up on to it this last Sunday, it took a few minutes for her to self load. Presumably because it smells like a new trailer! I jokingly said I needed to smear manure on the walls to make it smell like her old trailer :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Baylily

Baylily Senior Member

I am tempted to take it to Aiken this winter for a week of foxhunting in a more mild climate! Still trying to figure out my vacation time, though!

5. Shortenmyreins

Shortenmyreins Registered

I finally remembered to bring my camera in to the house, and since it is currently -22 celsius with a windchill of -35 celsius, tonight is a good night to hang out on the couch under the electric blanket and do computer stuff. So here are some of the photos of my Big Master.
    http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb372/horseofcorse/Public Photos/IMG_1883.jpg
    This is the view from the back. Pristine, before a horse had been on it.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb372/horseofcorse/Public Photos/IMG_1886.jpg
    Close up of the ramp. Ramp lifts easily and comes down nicely.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb372/horseofcorse/Public Photos/IMG_1889.jpg
    The stall area. The divider is removable, or the back can be moved over to the side if you have a problem loader. You must have one of the chest bars or butt bars up at all times or the divider will tilt over. The head divider is removable. The vinyl in the divider is flexible on the bottom part.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb372/horseofcorse/Public Photos/IMG_1888.jpg
    The windows in the horse compartment. They push open using the handle, and just kind of pop out. It leaves a gap of an inch or two around the window for the air to flow through. There are no screens in them. I was a bit worried about how well my mare, who is only 15.1hh, would be able to see through them, but she seems to have no problems. The roof vent has the same kind of handles that allow you to push the vent open, but it is multi-positional.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb372/horseofcorse/Public Photos/IMG_1887.jpg
    The silver straight hooks are for feedtubs (my trailer came with them). It is hard to see in the picture, but there are molded bowl shapes in this area. I don`t know how easy they are for the horse to reach, haven`t actually used them. The bowl in the stall on the right is quite a bit more forward than the one on the left. There is space behind the white circular grid area to place something. I wouldn`t want to keep anything in there when driving though, as there is nothing to tie down to. Once could probably rig something up if space was really needed though. It`s a good spot to throw a blanket or shipping boots into while you have the horse out. The hay net hangs from the roof, and I think is meant to clip on to the straight hook along the circular grid. I found it sat further forward than I liked and swung to the other side too much when I was hauling just the one horse, so I clipped the bottom of the net to one of the feedtub hooks instead.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  6. Shortenmyreins

Pics part 2 - the tack area!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb372/horseofcorse/Public Photos/IMG_1885.jpg
    The tack area. The mirror and net on the door are standard. There is also a single hook on the door. The height of the saddle bars can be adjusted easily, and they telescope out for easy access to your saddle. Boeckmann trailers come standard with a rubber broom and shovel that have telescoping handles and a hanging spot in the tack area. My mare has a history of pulling back when tied (although hasn`t in a couple of years) so I use the Tie Blocker Rings to tie her to the trailer. I have clipped them on the end of the saddle bar, I can grab it easily when I unload (and know where it is!).

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb372/horseofcorse/Public Photos/IMG_1872.jpg
    The front wall of the tack area has two shelves. The outside edge of the shelves are curved as they follow the shape of the nose of the trailer. But they are surprisingly long - the front edge measures 47" across. Because of the shape of the shelves, square containers might not be the best option for storage, but rather some softer bag type of storage so that you can use the odd shape of the shelves to full advantage. The shelves are made of fiberglass, and I found the surface slippery, so I put the rubbery drawer liner stuff on them (using sticky backed velcro to attach). Along the top there is a elastic cord that can be used to hang a saddle pad or blanket from. It unclips from one end. Seems kind of awkward. Not sure if it is something I will use.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb372/horseofcorse/Public Photos/IMG_1893.jpg
    The space under the bottom shelf. It is on a curved area, so nothing will stay on it if just placed there. However, I have a rather handy mother, so we are going to make some sort of bag insert that can be used for storage. I want to use it for some of those things that you need to take with you but hope not to use, like farrier tools and other tools.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb372/horseofcorse/Public Photos/IMG_1891.jpg
    One thing that I think the tack area is lacking is hooks. There is one on the exterior door, and two on the interior door (these are not overly convenient to grab things from the outside, so you would want your bridle to be on the exterior door). So I put up a bunch of the 3M Command hooks. Now a lunge line has a space, a spare halter and shank have a space, and there are a couple more hooks for some other things. I don't know how easy it would be to add hooks to the fiberglass area, but the interior door is wood, so more hooks could be added there if desired.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb372/horseofcorse/Public Photos/IMG_1892.jpg
    Even the small space just inside the exterior door got some Command hooks added. The blue ball on a stick thing is something that comes with the trailer. When your trailer is parked, you put the blue ball in the coupler and lock the coupler. You can't remove the blue ball without unlocking the coupler, making it more difficult for someone to drive off with your trailer.

The trailer comes with an Allan key that is used on all of the door hinges, the saddle racks, and the head divider. Again, it comes with a spot on the door so that you don't lose it. The shovel that is comes with is cute, but not great at pickup up poop. I just picked up at telescoping fork handle and fork head, it should fit nicely in the tack area. I might even consider leaving out the shovel if space gets tight.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much stuff I managed to cram into the tack area when I moved from my summer home to my winter home. I usually take two carloads to move. I got everything in except one saddle (of three), one Rubbermaid tub, and a couple of sheets. They went either in the truck or the other side of the trailer.

I only managed to take two trips this fall with my pony before the weather got bad, but was very happy with how it towed. My horse is not the best traveller, she likes to dance around quite a bit, but seemed to stay quiet at stops. We just have to work on loading (she likes to come off as soon as she is on) but with some practice in the spring I think she will be self-loading in no time.

7. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

Shortenmyreins, that's a really nice trailer!

8. palimino57

palimino57 Senior Member

Odd request.. can you by chance show me how the swapping rear door works? We are designing a new rear door for my trailer, and want to see how challenging it would be.

9. Shortenmyreins

Sorry Palimino - I don't have that option. I know there is a video somewhere on the interweb that Maple Lane had put up that shows the conversion - on their Facebook page maybe? Didn't see it on their website. I know that there are 4 latches, two top and two bottom, and at any given time you only undo two of them. But I don't know what the latches look like so that they can act as a hinge.

10. Baylily

Baylily Senior Member

I can take a picture of mine. Effectively there are two handles to undo the ramp and fold down. You fold it back up and undo just the right handle and then a spring/ping on the bottom right (make sure left handle is secure!) and viola, a step up!