Help me pick out a new Euro trailer!

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Baylily, Jun 19, 2014.

?

Which Trailer Would You Buy?

1. Bockmann Master

26.7%
  2. Bockmann Champion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Show Trek

33.3%
  4. Space Trek

13.3%
  5. Eclipse Euro

26.7%
  1. Baylily

Baylily Senior Member

I am looking to upgrade from my Brenderup to a new European trailer. I love my trailer but I have sort of "outgrown" it and now need something with at least a couple saddle racks.

I would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has experience with any of these trailers. I am going to test tow the Bockmann models Saturday, but unfortunately would not be able to test tow the Trek. [TABLE="class: grid, width: 500"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Trailer Model[/TD]
    [TD]Price[/TD]
    [TD]Interior Height[/TD]
    [TD]GVWR[/TD]
    [TD]Weight(empty([/TD]
    [TD]Material[/TD]
    [TD]Dressing Room[/TD]
    [TD]Note[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Bockmann Master R[/TD]
    [TD]18,500[/TD]
    [TD]7'8"[/TD]
    [TD]5280[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]FRP[/TD]
    [TD]Tack Cubby[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Bockmann Champion R[/TD]
    [TD]16,000[/TD]
    [TD]7'8"[/TD]
    [TD]5280[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]Aluminum/Fiberglass[/TD]
    [TD]Tack Cubby[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Trek Show L[/TD]
    [TD]17,900[/TD]
    [TD]7'4"[/TD]
    [TD]5732[/TD]
    [TD]2733[/TD]
    [TD]GRP[/TD]
    [TD]Tack Cubby +Living Quarters[/TD]
    [TD]Cannot Test Tow[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Trek Space L
    [/TD]
    [TD]14,900[/TD]
    [TD]7'4"[/TD]
    [TD]5732[/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]GRP[/TD]
    [TD]Dressing Room[/TD]
    [TD]Cannot Test Tow[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Eclipse Euro[/TD]
    [TD]13,000[/TD]
    [TD]7'6"[/TD]
    [TD]7000[/TD]
    [TD]2840[/TD]
    [TD]Aluminium[/TD]
    [TD]Dressing Room[/TD]
    [TD]Need to install electric brakes[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Bockmann:
    [​IMG]

Treka:
    [​IMG]

Eclipse Euro:
    http://www.eclipsealuminumtrailers.com/the-euro-series/the-euro-dress-8995

1 person likes this.
  2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Senior Moderator Staff Member

I've looked at the Böckmann quality and would likely be pulling one if I hadn't found the trailer I have now used for a fraction of the cost. I'm not familiar with the Trek product at all--you may mean Equi-Trek which apparently just started being imported to the US based on my Google search. I'm dubious about the Eclipse based on historical comments about them...and that's darn heavy for a "Euro" trailer. If it requires electric brakes, I'd be worried about how well it's balanced, too. The whole idea behind a "Euro" trailer is the mix of balance, low weight and inertial braking to make them easier and safer to tow with "non-beefy" vehicles since that's what the need is in Europe.

I will say that when you are with our friends in MD doing your test pull of the Böckmann, please also look at the Portax AK. It has a more traditional shape and that front ramp can be a nice thing to have in some cases. That is what would be in my driveway if I didn't have my 2004 TrailersUSA MinuteMan SuperSport 2h BP. (2200 lbs with my gear, sans ponies)

3. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

Things I did not like about the bockmann:

1. funky escape door
    2. lack of standard ventilation
    3. In the models with the chest compartment, the manger is on the driver's side which effectively reduces the headroom for the side you'll use most often.

to add to your selection, there is a dealer in Texas who is importing Ifor Williams now and that would be my choice.

The eclipse isn't a euro trailer-- it's heavy, does not have its own brakes. It's just narrower than a regular trailer.

I have used the Trek trailers in the UK and really liked them. It's just not going to be like anything else you've ever seen here, so I'd tow one and see how you feel about the loading process. I'd love to have one-- is there a north american dealer for these?

1 person likes this.
  4. Jim_in_PA

In Oregon...right around the corner from Maryland. LOL

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Trek space. The Bochman being dark on top is a deal breaker for me right away. It's hot enough in Fl. and there's a dark roof and not very good ventilation.

6. Jim_in_PA

Colors are buyer selectable...

1 person likes this.
  7. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

The dark roof doesn't really actually matter since the inside is white and the material is plastic, not metal. I have been inside a bockmann with a black roof and it might have been two degrees warmer right next to the roof but otherwise was no different inside.

to me, the roof vents (which are not often on trailers in stock) made a much bigger temperature difference than the roof color did.

To me, the only really usable tack compartment was on the Portax-- I'd almost prefer the bockmann without the tack compartment and using one of the saddle chests they sell strapped in the front. that way you can work out of it from outside the trailer and you don't lose the headroom.

1 person likes this.
  8. Baylily

Baylily Senior Member

I REALLY just want a new Brenderup *pouts*. I would like a little more storage room than just a cubby. I like the Bockmanns, but they are so flipping expensive relatively speaking--and no offense to the dealership in MD (as I may very well buy from them!), but they seem to be a lot cheaper in Canada (what gives?!).

The Portax is very expensive (around 19K!), and since i don't really NEED the side off ramp, I decided it wasn't really for me. But maybe I will change my mind when I see in person on Saturday.

Yes, the Trek trailers are made by Equi-Trek, and sold out of Oregon. Of course they arrive in Newark first, so I would pick one up at the port or arrange for delivery to MD (it's about 1000.00 cheaper to buy from the port, since the dealership has to pay to have them shipped to Oregon).

I'm not super comfortable with anything other than the euro trailers with my truck (which is best in its class for towing, but still a V6--its rated to tow 6,200lbs). I tow A LOT, and I live on a mountain, I just don't really want to go the route of a non traditional european trailer (a bit hesitant with the eclipse admittedly for these reasons), and wouldn't go for the TrailersUSA either.

1 person likes this.
  9. Baylily

Baylily Senior Member

So, if I could be really picky (and I can because I am blowing the proverbial bank on this trailer!), I don't like the Ifor Williams body styles. I like the space ships :)

I wish the Bockmann had windows up front as well (again I really just want a 2014 Brenderup!).

What didn't you like about the escape door? I don't mind them being low--is that your complaint?

The other thing about the Treks is that they are all rear facing, something i'm not used to.

10. kb1gra

kb1gra Senior Member

Given how easy they are to load/unload and how spacious I would 100% choose a Treka. I loved how easy they were to deal with. Now that I know I can get one here I am bummed I just bought a brand new conventional trailer. What is pricing like on the space with tack compartment?