Help me find Extra Extra Wide Tall Boots!

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Comida, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Comida

Comida Senior Member+

Can anyone suggest a good place to find extra extra wide, tall riding boots? I fit into XL Ariat half chaps. I'll have to measure my calves tomorrow to have a better idea...but they're chunky as heck.

I don't want to spend a million dollars, and I don't want to have to alter them a lot. Having to put in a zipper or a small elastic insert is fine...but nothing major.

My budget is probably around $300 or under. Is it possible to find decent boots???

(I ride dressage, and they would have to be decent enough to ride in local shows)

2. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

I also where the Ariat XL half chaps and had a really tough time finding boots. I ended up getting some Tredstone tall boots that fit pretty well. I'm not sure if they make a dress boot but if you can't find one, for low level dressage a field boot can be acceptable. The boots themselves aren't fantastic but defiantly useable and look good. The one thing to double check is if the height will work for you. My leg is pretty long below the knee so the boots are too short. But them so are the ariat half chaps and most anything off the shelf.

Other than those you could try going for some Hispars. They offer some bigger sizes as well and also do custom/semi-custom for around $300. I know there is an ebay store for them. If you want me to dig up the link let me know.

Comida likes this.
  3. Comida

Comida Senior Member+

Thanks. :)

I've heard some bad things about the hispars...so i'm not sure if I want to take the gamble.

I'm not really picky about them having to be dress boots and not field boots. I'm ok with either. :)

The ariat half chaps fit me well for height. I have short, chunky legs. I'll have to check out the treadstones. How expensive were they?

Thanks again!

4. luvs2ride79

luvs2ride79 Senior Member+

I had custom boots made and shipped from Argentina Polo Store for around $300. The quality is quite nice for the price. Just be sure to be generous with the foot measurements, but SNUG for the calf measurements. I was the other way around and had to have them altered...

http://www.argentinapolostore.com/

They sometimes sell on ebay.

5. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

Yep if the half chaps are a good height I'd bet the boots will be good once they wrinkle and settle. The treadstones run right around $250. Here's a link for them: http://www.equusnow.com/prodview.asp?idProduct=2579

As for the Hispars I've heard mixed reviews but the ones I've seen seem to be decent for the price. Nothing spectaular but decent.

6. Comida

Comida Senior Member+

I remember when I bought my ariat half chaps, they were snug. It was heck to get those suckers on. lol But they eventually stretched, and fit fine now. It's hard to remember that leather stretches quite a bit.

Thanks for the help you guys. :)

7. Capilet

Capilet Senior Member

I don't know what size half chaps I wear (at least a large), but the Wide calf Mountain Horse tall boots fit me great. My calf was 16.5" last time I measured (may be more now). They now make a dress boot and a field boot that are quite attractive for a good price.

8. buck1173

buck1173 Senior Member+

I've got a pair of effinghams that are reeeely wide in the calf, like an xw. I got them new on ebay for $30. Mine are the low end effinghams, they're ok quality, but effinghams can be very nice. They are, however, narrow in the footbed.

9. Kat&Ashton

Kat&Ashton Senior Member+

I fight the calf battle.

I did get a pair of hispars. They are very big on me, and the sizing is strange. I have them for backup boots.

My favorite boots are out gettign stretched again. I have a funky calf from swelling...so I am strange.

10. leese104

leese104 Registered

What size are you? I have a used pair of Mountain Horse tall dress boots in a size 9, that is an XXW calf. They don't make that calf size anymore, and surprisingly they were a little too roomy for my large calf!