Help me design my show shirt!

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by kaitybug, Feb 12, 2015.

1. kaitybug

kaitybug Senior Member

I just bought a solid dark grey show top to be my new showmanship top (still need to buy pants) and I can't wait until it ships! I have crystaled my horsemanship top so I am not new to the whole DIY show outfits, but I would like some opinions on design options. I have seen and liked show tops where the design is done just with crystals and I am leaning towards that option. Right now I am thinking a mix between black, maybe clear and colored crystals. Which color I am not sure yet, Lizzie is black so just about every color will match her, but I would like some opinions on colors as well. Oh and also with my horsemanship top I used swarovski crystals (~2000) but this time I will be using a lot more, so which type of non-swarovski crystal do you recommend? Here's the top I just bought
    [​IMG]
    And here is my horsemanship top that I crystaled this past fall
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  2. greenpaintpony

greenpaintpony Senior Member

I'm not going to be terribly much help because I grew up riding Hunters and the most exciting thing you can do there is wear navy or hunter green, but confession: when you said "crystaled', I was imagining my last (like, 12 year old) attempt with a bedazzler. Then I scrolled down and saw the other top you did. REALLY neat! I'm super impressed!

2 people like this.
  3. kaitybug

kaitybug Senior Member

This is the idea I have right now. I am thinking of doing a gradient with the middle having black rhinestones/crystals and as the design goes out the crystals get lighter and go from black to clear with a color in between, which color I am not sure yet. I am also still unsure on what to do with the collar and sleeves.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
    6 people like this.
  4. kodemiester

kodemiester Senior Member

^ that idea sounds cool!

Subbing, I'd like to make my own sms outfit here soon too, at least the blinging out part. Did you get the top from hobbyhorse?

1 person likes this.
  5. Naomie

Naomie Senior Member

I didn't know people did this...that must take some dedication to stick all those crystals on! :D wow. Anyway, are you planning on covering the whole thing?
    I guess if i were taking on that project i would do designs and patterns with the crystals, and steer clear of completely covering every inch with crystals. Your base color is gray though so maybe that wouldn't look too great...i don't know what your show colors are though...but anyway, yeah. Just another viewpoint :)

6. kaitybug

kaitybug Senior Member

I bought the shirt off ebay, and the design is being done in crystals. I have never hand painted or sewn on appliques which is why I am only using crystals. Plus on other show shirts I have seen that are just crystal designs I have really liked the look. My last showmanship outfit was red so I am switching things up now that I am no longer a youth.

7. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

crimson, mustard yellow, purple and lime all go nicely with charcoal grey.

I wouldnt use black crystals, but would stick to grey and an accent colour. The black would look too stark IMO against the grey.

2 people like this.
  8. kaitybug

kaitybug Senior Member

This is the type of black which isn't solid black. Do you think this would work? I haven't seen grey crystals, these ones are called black diamond
    [​IMG]

9. hamerface

hamerface Senior Member

I think theyre stunning. :)

10. kaitybug

kaitybug Senior Member

The problem I am having so far is finding crystals that have the same color in different shades. But I have found amethyst and light amethyst which I do really like and I think would go well with the grey. And sorry for the large pictures!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.