1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Help me design a saddle blanket?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Binca, Jan 11, 2017 at 7:17 PM.

1. Binca

Binca Senior Member

So I have a thing. When I say thing, I mean I have a lot of saddle blankets. I was very good in 2016, and didn't add to that collection very much.

But now I have a bit more money. And through a local saddlery I can get an EA Mattes custom saddle blanket for a reasonable price. Wahoo! I can choose the saddle blanket colour, binding colour, and up to three layers of piping.

Except choosing colours is apparently quite challenging! I don't have a horse in mind - it will probably be used by Josh (chestnut), King (dark bay), or Ciarra (red bay).

My saddle blanket collection at the moment consists of lots of white (with some different trims), black, brown, grey, navy, cream, and one hot pink. So I am lacking in the green and lighter blue department. Also lacking in the reds and yellows and oranges.

So now I am stuck. Choosing a saddle blanket colour. Any thoughts?

EA Mattes EuroFit Saddle Pad - Custom

Here is the link to the website I can order it from, all the colour choices are there if anyone is curious!

2. aFlamingAngel

aFlamingAngel Senior Member

I'm ordering one with a matching girth right now, just waiting for an invoice (epshop is slow to reply).

I'm getting black with plum sheepskin & mattes logo. my favorite colours, and it'll match my horses bridle, stirrup irons and boots :)

that said I also love their petrol colour, and ocean, and turquoise.... the petrol sheep looks nice to! paired with grey quilting. I really think those horses could all pull off blues / teals or turquoise. just my first idea though. I'm not one for warm colours, except for burgundy which I do love :)

what company are you ordering from??

3. Binca

Binca Senior Member

It's from Euro Equestrian, a company an old BO of mine started a while ago which stocks mostly fancy expensive stuff from Europe. :p the custom made pads, particularly without the sheepskin, are a decent enough price that I can justify buying one though. I'm not doing the sheepskin because I don't think I need it.

I really like that lemony colour. But it would need to be teamed up with the right other colour to look good. And it certainly could never go near Josh, but Ciarra and King could wear that colour. Josh is my only horse I actually like in red, but there isn't really a choice for red. The blueberry is also nice but I think would stand out nicer on a grey.

Oh gosh, see why I am bad at decisions? :p

aFlamingAngel likes this.
  4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If you like the lemon color, you go to your color wheel and remember that opposites on the color wheel go together. So purpleish colors go with lemon yellow. But you can also use white.

Myself, I wouldn't do the light colors. They get ruined too fast from stains. Just one misplaced stirrup leather rubbing against the yellow and it makes a mark you will have a fight with the devil to try getting out.

I really like the plum myself, but you have to decide. It has to be something you love.

Binca likes this.
  5. Binca

Binca Senior Member

But that's half the reason I am torn! You are so right that darker colours won't look grotty as quickly. But I do love bright colours. Maybe I could go a darker colour then add the colour to the binding/piping. Lots to think about! :p

Thanks for the advice Manes. :)

manesntails likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Color Harmonies: complementary, analogous, triadic color schemes

this^ should help you with your decision. Study the diagrams and before you know it, you'll be automatically forming color combinations that are pleasing.

7. aFlamingAngel

see, two votes for plum;)

imo, saving up for sheepskin is worth it. you're right, YOU don't need it, your horse's back can definitely benefit from the breathable properties of sheepskin, and mattes is very durable. at least my horses mattes girth is.

get something that coordinates well with at least 80% of your daily wardrobe - riding clothes, tack, and other gear. plus your horse's colour and saddle color.

manesntails likes this.
  8. aFlamingAngel

my 2nd pad will definitely be very close to the one pictured in your link- muted purple with grey sheepskin! I just LOVE that combo!

fwiw, Epshop has a 20% discount which makes it a lot cheaper... you just have to be patient with the slow response times. it's going to be worth the wait for me, because it means that for the price of one pad on other sites, I can get the pad AND a matching girth which I would really like because my sensitive morab loves his sheepskin girth. He showd obvious disgust when I ride in leather girths.

manesntails likes this.
  9. CoopersPprScpr

CoopersPprScpr Senior Member