Help me buy my first saddle! Please!

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by ACinATX, Aug 1, 2018.

1. ACinATX

ACinATX Full Member

Hmm, thank you for this question. Honestly I didn't really think that through. This girl is nine years old and tiny. I doubt I could find a saddle that fit us both even if I wanted a jumping saddle. I'm going to have to give that some more thought.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  2. ACinATX

ACinATX Full Member

Thanks for asking this. I got in touch with Carol over there and she says she has an Albion hoop tree saddle that she thinks will work. It's $2500, which is obviously more than I wanted to pay, but if it would fit us both and he'd be happy in it, I would pay it. I'm going to see when she can come out and try it on him.

ginster likes this.
  3. sandstorm

sandstorm Senior Member

Great! I hope it works out for you

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Oh goodness - yes the age complicates things. A growing child may need a few saddles as she grows.........

5. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

I had a custom saddle made for my TWH from National Bridal they are based out of Tennessee. They did an awesome job, and when I bought mine I had to take all kinds of pictures and measurements for them. At the time souvie’s topline wasn’t there, his ribs were showing, he wasn’t ready for a saddle but when he was they had him a perfectly made saddle. They have a website you can check out. Tennessean Saddles - Home I paid $1399.00 for my saddle. But it was built for him, worth every dime. BCC80EE3-3D8F-4902-819B-1E0FA25E58F6.jpeg 5FCA7D72-58B1-4C44-B36E-A85824DBF9E4.jpeg

6. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

Showcasetack.com is in TX. She is a Lovatt and Ricketts dealer and carries used L&R saddles. She works primarily with Arabian riders but might be a good contact.

Smith Worthington is in New England but might be able to put you into one of their saddles adjusted to fit.

A hoop tree xxw close contact saddle is going to be tough to find used.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  7. ACinATX

ACinATX Full Member

So, for those of you who like to know how things turned out. Carol from Capstone had the Albion hoop tree saddle in stock for $2500 (faint) and was going to bring it, but I asked her to also bring any others she thought might fit him as well, because that was just so much money. She ended up selling me a used Jorge Canaves XW hoop tree saddle for $800. I don't really like the color, and it doesn't have the super cushy seat that I love, but it fits him and it fits me and it didn't break the bank, so I'm happy.