Help...horses eating leaves?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Abbie22057, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Abbie22057

Abbie22057 Senior Member

I just noticed my horses were eating leaves. They are walking along the pasture, skimming up all the leaves. Is this going to hurt them? I do have one pasture with no leaves, so I can move them, but is this something I need to worry about? By the way, they're basswood leaves.

2. cassidy

cassidy Senior Member+

i wouldnt of thought so i mean at a yard i worked at tehre were leaves in the field if your that worried though an you dont mind moving them i would do that

also have you thought about raking the leaves up as leaving them wont be good for the grass anyway!

3. luvs2ride79

luvs2ride79 Senior Member+

This might be because they're not getting enough hay. If your pasture grass is less than 3" tall, it's not enough. Put out a good quality round bale for them or throw out good hay twice a day.

It could also be because these leaves are tasty! I have seen horses who LOVE leaves off certain types of trees. Figure out what kind of trees they are and look the up on the internet to make sure they're not poisonous to horses. If they're not, don't worry about it! But do make sure they have plenty of hay.

~Barb

4. Abbie22057

Abbie22057 Senior Member

They are basswood trees.

The grass is shorter than 3 inches, but they have 20 acres of pasture for the two of them and the cows. There's usually a round bale out there 24/7, may not be top quality but it's there. They are both plenty fat so I think they're getting enough food. They seemed to love them! They aren't eating them now as I tossed them a couple leaves of hay, so I don't think they ate a lot of them.

I just wanted to know if I should be worried because they were obviously picking out just the leaves, no grass.

5. Dawn

Dawn Senior Member

Reno will eat twigs, sticks, leaves, etc...before hay or grain any day. I guess it's just in her genes. As long as it's not poisonous or moldy, it won't hurt them. Just make sure that they continue to eat the good stuff as well.

6. My Mr. Ed

My Mr. Ed Senior Member+

I think its fine as long as its not poisonous. My boys also eats leaves

7. SammyDoodle

SammyDoodle Senior Member+

Sam is a leaf eater as well - he has plenty of grazing and hay but he just loves to hoover up!

8. buggywhipp

buggywhipp Senior Member

My horses are leaf eaters too.

9. Moostang

Moostang Senior Member+

Yeah I have a hoover too.. leaves blow into the round pen and he sucks them up if I am not working him

10. HorseChickSam

HorseChickSam Full Member

I think it is ok as long as they are not red maple leaves!!! They kill horses the sad thing is I have seen it kill a yearling even after he went to the equine center. It was too late it was awful!