1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Help a clueless western rider

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by ibsammy, Mar 7, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Senior Member

I D check craigslist near you if you dont have a shop selection or borrowable show saddle, and dont want tot use your high point marked one. Just search 'saddle' in Farm&Garden and General and see what comes up, preferably with a pic. I Do it mostly for curiosity or fun but I have bought a couple locally, and inquired on more distant ones, a couple times. Just be safe.

2. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

^there's nothing wrong with showing in that saddle. For one year, I used from work Trophy Saddle at AQHA shows....judges didn't care.

3. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

And you are sitting on the words anyway. :D

VermilionStrife and GotaDunQH like this.
  4. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

Here is the saddle in question. I have a new bridle coming, this one is a smidge too big for her. I am going to try teal and black on her for now, mostly because I don't trust myself at all to keep light colors clean. It's hard enough with a mostly white horse! You can see some of the words, but our first show is in 2 weeks, and I had my first ride on her yesterday. We have a Looooooong way to go, but getting out and about will be a good experience for her, even if we come in dead last in every class.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

IMPO, you will probably want to take the back cinch off for pleasure. you don't see them in the show ring anymore

6. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

That's a good point. In hind site, this might have been the first time she's ever been ridden with a back cinch. I'll pull it off and see how the saddle goes. I'm not 100% sold on the fit, but I want to reevaluate after her chiro visit Friday.

7. ibsammy

ibsammy Senior Member

One more question, where is a good place to buy a cheap, entry level show halter for a stock horse type with a huge jaw, and a petite muzzle? Her face is tiny, the halter that fits her is a weaver adjustable with the muzzle adjusted as small as it goes, and on the shortest hole on the side. I can measure later and get exact numbers. The one leather halter I have is WAY too small for her (and any horse I've put it on even though it's horse sized)

8. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Any "cheap" show halter isn't going to be worth buying (IMPO... I can't stand the fake engraved aluminum). If you can't borrow one, I would just buy a new leather halter

9. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

A $40 plain leather halter will look better than a cheap fake silver one. If you're on Facebook, search for a used one on any of the hundreds of used show tack groups.

10. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Your saddle is fine....and have fun!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.